Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross threaded plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross threaded plug

Not mine thank God. A guy I work with has a 99 z28 and he was doing plugs and had some issues so since I have a 00 SS he asked me to take a look at his problem. Well he crossthreaded #8 it is 3/4 of the way in. I told him leave it alone and I'd ask you guys what he should do. I have no idea what to do so what do you all think? I am ABSOLUTELY positive it is crossthreaded.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scrappy
Not mine thank God. A guy I work with has a 99 z28 and he was doing plugs and had some issues so since I have a 00 SS he asked me to take a look at his problem. Well he crossthreaded #8 it is 3/4 of the way in. I told him leave it alone and I'd ask you guys what he should do. I have no idea what to do so what do you all think? I am ABSOLUTELY positive it is crossthreaded.
The head will need to be removed and then the threads can be repaired.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup head must come off and get helicoiled

a very costly mistake for such a simple part.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:22 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the only other option is removing the head, might as well try backing it out first. Great time to pick up some of the $900 PRC's from TSP!

BTW - make sure he uses some never-cease from now on, helps them start right, go in smooth, and come out easier too.