Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Headers & Cat back system

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Headers & Cat back system

I am going to buy this system from SLP can anyone tell me why I need the cats? Can I just weld in two three inch stainless pipes instead and not worry about any problems by doing this,I dont live in the states so emmisions laws here are more relaxed so thats not a problem.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cats will make the LTs and LM sound better, and enable you to pass a sniffer test if required in your state. I have this exact set up, and I love the LM, but would get other headers if I had it to do over again. They hang way to low. I think QTP and TD is my next exhaust set up.
Attached Thumbnails SLP Headers & Cat back system-header_bash.jpg  
Old 04-09-2006, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

No there will not be any harm in not putting cats on, but instead of welding in some pipe just buy an ORY pipe, it has no cats on it. You will have to get O2 sims for the rear O2 sensors though, they arent that expensive though.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Fun Ls1 how low is your car?If I get this set up will lowering my car an inch or two will be to much?And who is QTP and TD, also drews Ta whats a ory pipe please tell me!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

well the slp headers take away about 2" of ground clearance theirselves minus another inch or two, your headers will be on the ground, literally every time you hit the smallest bump. talk about pissed off my buddy rubbed a hole in his im glad he bought his first, i'm gettin pacesetter, what he has now much easier to install (less cussing)
Old 04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

i just finished installing my long tube SLPheaders,(they are very low) you cant lower ur car after installing them,otherwise ull have alot of problem driving ur car.

cats,i removed mine,the car is not in the united state so i dont have to worry legal stuff.
in my opinion,taking cats out are much better for you engine,i had 3 inch y pipe and borla exuahst the car sounds sooo good and sexy.

but to do this(taking cats out) you have to keep in mind that you buy the o2 similater and connict ,so u dont have ur check engine light on.
and good luck driving ur baby.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28XTC
Fun Ls1 how low is your car?If I get this set up will lowering my car an inch or two will be to much?And who is QTP and TD, also drews Ta whats a ory pipe please tell me!

QTP is Quick Time Performance....they are a sponsor here. They, together with Kooks and Stainless Works and Dynamaxx make the most popular Stainless Steel headers. I would get any of those over the SLP setup.

TD stands for True Duals. As you know our cars don't have a true dual exhaust, so a lot of guys go for custom made true dual setups that go either over or under the rear axle.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Off road Y-pipe, it is the pipe that connects the headers to the rest of the exhaust. The normal Y-pipe has Cats on it and an off road one comes without Cats.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lowering and SLP LT's do not go together well at all. Humble speed bumps will be like Mt Everest

QTP make LT headers & TD = True Dual exhaust. The TD can be with either and X-Pipe or an H-Pipe, which both look like they sound. There have been some awesome examples w/pics posted if you search for "True Dual."
Old 04-09-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks all for the good advice.