Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exaust ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exaust ideas?

i was wondering if anybody knows of a cat back exhaust that would sound like a v10 like in a ferrari. i know that sounds like a stupid question because we have v8's, but there must be something that can make us sound similar. I cant even describe how a ferrari sounds. i guess its just very high pitched. my friend said to just get slp loudmouth and call it a day but i want to check out my options. any advice would be great.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Don't think you can make a beefy v-8 sound like a high revving v-10.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah since Ferrari makes V10s...
Old 04-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Teching In

damn.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you could find out if you can get a just some mufflers from a Tubi system or something and slap them into your exhaust. That is if you're really striving for this - I know they're very expensive additions to Ferraris and other exotics.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joe32725
i was wondering if anybody knows of a cat back exhaust that would sound like a v10 like in a ferrari. i know that sounds like a stupid question because we have v8's, but there must be something that can make us sound similar. I cant even describe how a ferrari sounds. i guess its just very high pitched. my friend said to just get slp loudmouth and call it a day but i want to check out my options. any advice would be great.
Not a chance.

First off, the only V10's Ferrari use was in Formula 1 (last year) and considering these revved to 19,000rpm and an exhaust system costs about £18,000 and only lasts one race then NO your home grown, commonal push rod V8 will not sound like it.

As for their road cars, Ferrari use V8's and V12's. The V12 sound different because they are DOHC V12's and as they have more cylinders the firing order is different, plus they are generally short stroke motors compared to the relativly long stroke of an American OHV engine.

I assuming you are wanting the "wailing scream" that the F355, F360 and F430 are reknown for. Sadly this is also impossible. Sound is dictated by far more than just the exhuast system, but major differences are the fact the Ferrari engine is DOHC and can rev to over 8000rpm. The most important difference is that it is a single plain V8. This means it has an even firing order across the two cylinder banks. If you imagine it's like two straight 4 engines with a common crankshaft. An American V8 (and most other V8's) have an uneven firing order much like have two V4 engines joined togther. This is what gives a V8 it's traditional lopey sound.

The only other single plain V8's I know of are TVR (4.2, 4.5) and Lotus 3.5 twin turbo (although the turbo's rob the exhaust of a decent note).

The advantage to this setup is proper exhuast tuning, which is impossible on a V8 like the LS1 as there's always a compromise. However single plain V8's generally aren't as smooth and can be more costly to manufacture.

So if you really want that sound, you'll have to buy a car that uses that kind of engine. However the OHV V8 still sounds awesome (IMO ) and has it's own character.

Personally I like the sound of the Loudmouth, but due to the muffler used it will always sound better when used with CATS. Good aftermarket CATS won't hurt performance either.

The GMMG and Stainless Works chambered exhaust are also IMO awesome sounding.

Personally I've never been keen on the Magnaflow, Borla or Corsa sound but I know many are.

An alternative is to run duals, these will give a slightly different feel to a Y pipe setup but it will still evidently be an American V8.