Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADJUSTING BORLA CATBACK- Stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADJUSTING BORLA CATBACK- Stuck!

I was messing around this past weekend and wanted to change the sound of my Borla Adjustable (for sh*ts and giggles). Im running open plate right now and have been since I put it on, and I just wanted to rip around town with it fully closed off (street legal) for once just to see what it sounded like (dont ask me why- Open plate is amazing, but the Cops are a pain in my *** around here) However, as I went to try to loosen the bolts- they wouldn't budge. The exhaust has been on the car for over a year and half now (cars never seen rain/been garaged all winter/no rust). They are just the bolts that thread into the other half of the I-pipe/no locknuts on the otherside, but are on there pretty damn tight. (most of you know what im talking about). I pulled the damn wrench so hard that I slightly bent it, so then I tried using a hammer to the rest of the wrench, now its completly bent. My problem is- do I need an impact wrench to get them loose as is thats what the shop uses to tighten the bolts, or is there some breakfree solution that I could use? (like something to spray on them from a cheapo hardware store)?? Any feedback would be nice! Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

try some wd-40. Mine has been on my car since May of 2003. Car is daily driver and have never had this problem.
Hose it down and let it soak in, then try it.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah SOAK it with WD-40 and let it sit for awhile. And then get your longest and biggest wrench for the best leverage possible.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Try some PB blaster. I used it on my buddies '01 Stang when we were putting on an offroad x. It helped out a ton.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about u guys, but the bolts hardly even fit in at first. I drilled out the holes the bolts went through. Once you get the bolt off, u might want to consider drilling out the holes a tiney bit.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

when i had borla, it was always tight to change plates. the heat really tightens stuff up. i put some antisieze on my bolts and it helped alot, but the bolts still were tight
Old 04-10-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys... I tried the old WD-40 method and it didnt work out. I will try the antiseze tomorrow and if that doesnt work, then I might just stop by the old mechanic and have him take the impact wrench to'em. If not, oh well-no sweat THANKS!