Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax Powercat NJ emissions problem "not ready"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynomax Powercat NJ emissions problem "not ready"

I have a pair of the powercats on my car - the dynomax cat that looks like a small cherry bomb muffler with no heat shield. I failed inspection today and was told "you have straight pipes". Anybody think there is anyway past this? It didn't help that I got a 'not ready' for catalytic converters, but somehow I got a pass for 'overall readiness' ... ? I have ls1edit and all the codes related to rear 02s are set to 'Set SES- Yes' and 'Type X- turned off'. I see people with HP tuners talking about 'No error reported'. Anyone have any ideas what went wrong and how I can get past this visual problem ? Might I have to have rear O2s installed, the codes restored and some heat shields ?????
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the cats, a recipt showing that they are indeed cats would probably get you past that problem if they ask why they were replaced, telling them they were clogged would be a good answer
As for the SES and error reporting you might want to post that in the pcm and tuning section (the tuner gurus usually hang out there)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. I think I got the catalytic "not ready" problem solved. I didn't realize PO420 and PO430 are also to be deleted in edit.

This still leaves me with a failure basically for 'emmissions control Systems Inspection' failure ... ug.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Find the cats on the net, and take the page to the station and show them it's a cat (I'm assuming it's 50 state legal replacement) if so it should have a CARB EO # on it somewhere(or a sticker with that info on it)
Old 04-11-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Find the cats on the net, and take the page to the station and show them it's a cat (I'm assuming it's 50 state legal replacement) if so it should have a CARB EO # on it somewhere(or a sticker with that info on it)
There are NO 50 state legal cats other than stock.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

have a friend weld a heat shield on it, and take it thru again!!