Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly motor mount install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly motor mount install.

Is not fun...

Spent my afternoon installing prothane poly mounts. I have the exhaust off waiting for headers so that helped a lot. I couldnt imagine doing it with the exhaust on the car. I dont know if I had to but i dropped the a/c compressor and alternator also to get everything out of there. It was a lot of work and not something I look forward to doing all the time. Hopefully it is worth it.

Edelbrock victors will be here the 24th.

Dave
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me a couple hours with the exhaust on.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine with the heads off, but I could see how it would be a pain with a complete motor in there, it will be worth the effort.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I let the shop that does all my mod work put them in. I had taken it to a friend of mines shop initially cause he quoted me $125.00 to install untill he saw what was involved after he got the car. He told me it would have been so much easier if they had been intalled befor the headers and Y pipe were installed. The mounts were an afterthought because my headers were banging on the floorboard. Read in one of the threads that this was a cure. I am glad I had it done because there is no more bangin and alot more stability to the motor. You did right in dropping stuff to make the job ultimately easier. Its a nightmare to do it with exhaust on the car as relayed to me by the machanic and what I saw under the car. No freakin space!!! It is well worth doin it, especially if you got headers and Y goin in the car. You won't regret it!! Poly mounts + no more bangin = one happy camper
Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I did the driver's side and have decided to do the passenger side now. The key for me was having my car on a lift and seeing the motor run and looking at the driver's side with the poly mount compared to the passenger side with the factory mount. The driver's side was solid while the pasenger side looked like a 4 year old after eating an entire Easter basket full of chocolate.

Granted, when you rev the motor, the driver's side would still move a little, but it was controlled unlike the passenger side. A good comparison is like driving around with soft springs and no shocks. The car just bounces uncontrolled. Add a nice shock to control the movement. That's what poly mounts do. The control the movement of the motor.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

I hear about the install being crucial to modifying the method for installation. My install guy said imagine a similar analogy, except he couldn't get it in without the tip you just basically mentioned. I'd say there's a nice chance that it would work just like that.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I pulled the passenger side last night. Had it out in about an hour and a half. After work I will pick up the mount and re-install it tonight.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

I think that I may need to do this also. I have something banging the **** out of my floorboard anytime I lean on the gas and am either in a corner or hit a bump. When the rear axle hops on me it is real bad also. I had this problem before and I put a prothane tranny mount in and it fixed it for a while. Then I put a clutch in a couple weeks ago and it all came back. Did you get a large increase in interior noise after you did this.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

I did both of mine in about 10 hours. Install went very well.

I also did a friends of mine and it took us all weekend. His were very stubborn going in.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly motor mounts don't significantly increase cabin noise...they will a little, but it is very tolerable. If you keep a rubber tranny mount, it is even better. I just put my poly tranny mount back in the other day to keep the shifter from bouncing up and down driving down the road (which it helped with immensely), and the vibration isn't bad at all. You just feel the engine through the floorboard more than with the rubber tranny mount. I'll see how I like it as I get some more miles on it (also keep in mind that I did not install the preload plate on the tranny mount).

I just need to verify I'm not getting any false knock now (car feels a little slower for some reason after the poly tranny mount went back in)...hopefully it is all in my head.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

And yeah...my mounts were stubborn as well. Took me 14 hours spread over two days. I was so frustrated after the first day that I was only going to do one side, until I realized that my motor was sitting crooked, causing the passenger side header to rub the k-member.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

meent, i also felt like my car was falling on its face after the trans mount was put one. it worked itself out though. after a little break in everything is lovely! not too much vibration and a solid shifter. i actually have the preload plate on mine and have been wanting to take it off to see what the diff is. did you also shave the 2 bumps off the mount?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Nope...no shaving on mine. It is odd that both of us feel like the car is slower though when combining the poly motor and trans mounts...I'll do some logging when I get a chance to see if anything is amiss.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Just so I know this is on M6 cars correct? I am wondering what it would do a an A4 car? Has anyone done poly engine and trans mounts on an A4 car?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Poly motor mounts don't significantly increase cabin noise...they will a little, but it is very tolerable. If you keep a rubber tranny mount, it is even better. I just put my poly tranny mount back in the other day to keep the shifter from bouncing up and down driving down the road (which it helped with immensely), and the vibration isn't bad at all. You just feel the engine through the floorboard more than with the rubber tranny mount. I'll see how I like it as I get some more miles on it (also keep in mind that I did not install the preload plate on the tranny mount).

I just need to verify I'm not getting any false knock now (car feels a little slower for some reason after the poly tranny mount went back in)...hopefully it is all in my head.
Whaat exactly does the preload plate do? I didn't put mine in either(I lost it!!)
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by carrsls1_camaro
Just so I know this is on M6 cars correct? I am wondering what it would do a an A4 car? Has anyone done poly engine and trans mounts on an A4 car?
Yes...M6 here.

As for the preload plate...you got me. It squishes the poly nubs down, but I really don't know why it is there. I figured it'd give the trans some extra rubber to lay against...plus, I think the trans would sit a little high with the preload plate in. It already sits higher than with the rubber mount...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

The pre load plate is intended to solidly mount the trans with steel same thing for turbo trans. I have never installed a preload plate on the 3 poly trans mounts I have ran and never has an issue.

Quick Reply: Poly motor mount install.