Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for anyone who ran Open Headers and went to True Duals:

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for anyone who ran Open Headers and went to True Duals:

How much of a Volume difference was there once you went from Open Headers to True Duals (dumped in front of the axle)? I'd like to get a custom TD setup made dumped in front of the axle, and I have people telling me its going to be just as loud as open headers, which I find hard to believe, because that is just rediculously loud. Any input at all?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No cats I presume? It will most likely drone equally inside the car. Open headers are going to be way louder than an x or h pipe. Who on earth told you that it is just as loud?

Not to mention the fact that you will roast your 02 sensors with open headers and have no kind of exhaust velocity, thus decreasing lowend.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
No cats I presume? It will most likely drone equally inside the car. Open headers are going to be way louder than an x or h pipe. Who on earth told you that it is just as loud?

Not to mention the fact that you will roast your 02 sensors with open headers and have no kind of exhaust velocity, thus decreasing lowend.
Thats all I want - an X-pipe, going to 2 bullets and dumping right in front of the axle. No cats, correct. Drone is fine when driving, I dont mind that at all. Idle could use to be a bit quieter though.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing is louder than open headers. Exhaust piping itself muffles exhaust tone. Right now on my 408, i am running an open Y pipe with no muffler/no cats. It's ******* loud

When i ran open headers on my cammed 346, it was WAY louder.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Nothing is louder than open headers. Exhaust piping itself muffles exhaust tone. Right now on my 408, i am running an open Y pipe with no muffler/no cats. It's ******* loud

When i ran open headers on my cammed 346, it was WAY louder.
THANK YOU. That was the ONLY point I was trying to make lol. While its still loud with a TD dumped, I figure its still quieter than Open Headers, and thats all that matters to me.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my duals, I started it up with open headers and it was "holy ****!" loud. My neighbors felt it. They like me. Just the h-pipe quieted it down a lot.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

i went with a 3" x and 3" magnaflow 4x9 mufflers, dumped under the axle. it is comparable to stock inside the car..what drone? i can hear my MINIMAL gear whine over the drone. open headers is horrible inside the car. it does not even compare to my exhaust. i don't know about bullets, but i do know that my magnaflows are ******* awesome. very deep at idle and normal driving, WOT can be heard for miles, not raspy...hardly noticeably drone at highway speeds.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MightyBobo
Thats all I want - an X-pipe, going to 2 bullets and dumping right in front of the axle. No cats, correct. Drone is fine when driving, I dont mind that at all. Idle could use to be a bit quieter though.
Not near as loud as open headers.....but LOUD as hell. I had my ST's dumped for about a year and finally couldn't take it anymore. Too much drone, too many rattles inside the car and way too loud. Now that they are out the back, I'm in heaven. Very aggressive sound. Still loud, just not in the car. And no drone at all.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Not near as loud as open headers.....but LOUD as hell. I had my ST's dumped for about a year and finally couldn't take it anymore. Too much drone, too many rattles inside the car and way too loud. Now that they are out the back, I'm in heaven. Very aggressive sound. Still loud, just not in the car. And no drone at all.
I can still handle it being loud. Just not as loud as open headers - thats just rediculously loud.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Yeah, it is more like retarded loud if you ever have to get on it too.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by s346k
i went with a 3" x and 3" magnaflow 4x9 mufflers, dumped under the axle. it is comparable to stock inside the car..what drone? i can hear my MINIMAL gear whine over the drone. open headers is horrible inside the car. it does not even compare to my exhaust. i don't know about bullets, but i do know that my magnaflows are ******* awesome. very deep at idle and normal driving, WOT can be heard for miles, not raspy...hardly noticeably drone at highway speeds.
When you guys say dumped under the axle...have a picture of tht setup per chance? I dont think Ive ever seen that.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Yeah, it is more like retarded loud if you ever have to get on it too.
Dont remind me. When I had to dyno the other day...it was like a 747 was landing on my head. Not near - on.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:14 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

He either means right before the axle or under the axle and out the back.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

He either means right before the axle or under the axle and out the back.
OK, thats what I figured. Thanks man!