Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/Header Question

So, my car is pretty much stock, the only exhaust mod now is a flowmaster muffler. What good/affordable true dual exhaust system and headers would you reccommend? Or would it be better to go with headers and an offroad ypipe? This is a daily driven car so nothing that will roar on the highway/interstate or get me pulled over, but i definatly want the deep rumble.

I plan on installing a Procharger hopefully later this summer, i dont know if that will affect anything.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

TSP true duals and pacesetters. That is what I see recommended the most and TSP has a deal going on right now too for the pacesetters if i am not mistaken.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want it quiet, then true duals is not the way to go
IMO you want Pacesetter LTs, and a cut out, leave the flowmaster for the sound (sounds good flows bad) the cut out is for times when you want to make noise.
If you want a quiet catback, get either the hooker, or the SLP dual dual
for the Y pipe, I went with the pacesetter, fits fine, tucks up nice, no banging no scraping
Old 05-02-2006, 12:55 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an M6 car with stock gears, the TSP true duals will be semi-tame at highway speeds.

If you keep your foot out of the throttle, you'll be able to make it around town without getting pulled over. Deep rumble is going to be your new middle name after TSP duals. If you get them with the spiral flow mufflers, it will not be as loud as the bulets/ST's.

Pacesetters are the ultimate in good/affordable, can't beat 'em with a stick.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing to watch for with duals is most of the kits available will not work with body mounted torque arms, if drag racing at the track is important to you then a body mounted TA is well worth it.

The only way to get duals to work is to have them custom made around the torque arm.

Also is you don't want it too loud then having duals custom fabbed so they go over the axle and out the back with sensible mufflers will help. Most duals like TSP's dump before the axle so they will be fairly noticable.

If you plan on a Procharger then 2.5" duals should make slightly more power than a regular 3" ORY setup, however I doubt it would be a mssive difference as many people have had cars with well over 600rwhp running thru a 3" Y pipe.

A 3.5" Y setup should flow similar to a 2.5" dual setup.

As for headers well Pacesetter, Hooker, Jet Hot, Edlebrock are all well respected and affordable.

At the end of the day ANY good exhaust regardless of Y pipe or duals will work well and sound good, it's just about making sure it does what you want it to do.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys, i think i will prob end up going with the pacesetter lt's and a 3" ypipe. This seems to be a system that will sound awesome, but wont roar on the highways.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DamanSS
Thanks for the info guys, i think i will prob end up going with the pacesetter lt's and a 3" ypipe. This seems to be a system that will sound awesome, but wont roar on the highways.
Just so you're aware, the ORY (offroad Y-pipe: doesn't have cats) will be louder and create more rasp on whatever catback you use. Cats quiet things down. So if you're looking for a deep rumble but still don't want to be too loud, you might want to consider using a Y-pipe with cats, such as Texas Speed's $700 package of coated Pacesetters with a TSP catted Y.