Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI damper pin kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATI damper pin kit

All, for my upcoming H/C setup, I am planning on running the ATI pulley/damper. I noticed on Thunder Racing's site, they sell a "damper pin kit" for the ATI piece... does anyone know what is involved in installing this?? Is it similar to a "crank key" on traditional SBC's where there has to be a groove in the snout of the crank, or...??

More importantly, would it be overkill for an average (G5) H/C setup, or would the extra $120 be worth the peace of mind?? I am already SERIOUSLY overkilling the whole project (already have Jesel SS rockers, just ordered Schubeck lifters, will order Katech timing chain within a couple of weeks, etc...), so a little bit more won't hurt... however, if I don't need it, that's another $120 that's still in my pocket.

Thanks.

<small>[ November 13, 2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: BurnOut ]</small>
Old 11-13-2002, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: ATI damper pin kit

TTT for me
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Does this involves also removing the timing chain cover?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xjaguar
Does this involves also removing the timing chain cover?
No it does not.

EDIT... I just noticed this thread from 2002, bringing one back from the dead.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BurnOut
All, for my upcoming H/C setup, I am planning on running the ATI pulley/damper. I noticed on Thunder Racing's site, they sell a "damper pin kit" for the ATI piece... does anyone know what is involved in installing this?? Is it similar to a "crank key" on traditional SBC's where there has to be a groove in the snout of the crank, or...??

More importantly, would it be overkill for an average (G5) H/C setup, or would the extra $120 be worth the peace of mind?? I am already SERIOUSLY overkilling the whole project (already have Jesel SS rockers, just ordered Schubeck lifters, will order Katech timing chain within a couple of weeks, etc...), so a little bit more won't hurt... however, if I don't need it, that's another $120 that's still in my pocket.

Thanks.

<small>[ November 13, 2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: BurnOut ]</small>
I don't think it will be overkill if your application is constant mid-high RPMs like road racing. AFAIK both the ATI damper and the pin kit serve the purpose of better endurance for your engine's bottom end for sustainted periods of mid-high rpms, as well as protecting your timing chaing on H/C scenarios, and a must for supercharged apps.

Originally Posted by conan
No it does not.

EDIT... I just noticed this thread from 2002, bringing one back from the dead.
Thanks! Didn't knew how that pin kit fit.

As they say, better use the search function instead of making dupes.

Last edited by xjaguar; 08-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xjaguar
I don't think it will be overkill if your application is constant mid-high RPMs like road racing. AFAIK both the ATI damper and the pin kit serve the purpose of better endurance for your engine's bottom end for sustainted periods of mid-high rpms, as well as protecting your timing chaing on H/C scenarios, and a must for supercharged apps.

Thanks! Didn't knew how that pin kit fit.

As they say, better use the search function instead of making dupes.
Ya you used the search alright

It's not to bad of a job, just remove the crank pully bolt, leve the stock pully on and install the die on the front of the crank. Drill the hole and remove the stock pully, install the ati damper. Also measure the depth of the key slot cut into the ati hub and then put a piece of duct tape around the drill bit about 1/8" shorter. This will tell you when to stop drilling so you dont hit the timing chain gear on the crank with the drill bit.