Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Emissions

i just moved to California about a month ago and my plates are about to expire so i have no choice but to get it licensed and smoged. im running longtubes with a catted y and a gmmg exhaust. whats the chances of passing and if none then how do i make it smog legal?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rameon01
i just moved to California about a month ago and my plates are about to expire so i have no choice but to get it licensed and smoged. im running longtubes with a catted y and a gmmg exhaust. whats the chances of passing and if none then how do i make it smog legal?
You can only pass if you
a) know a shop that will overlook the visual inspection
b) get rid of longtubes AND Y-pipe in favor of stock manifolds

Then you'll be alright to pass the visual, you should be good to pass the sniffer too.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

i just moved here and really dont feel like taking my entire exhaust system off to put the stocker back on since i dont have a garage and the apartments wont let you work on your car in the parking lot. i live like 10 minutes away from sacramento lol, small world. thanx for the reply
Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You 1st mistake was moving to CA! I have almost the same exhaust as you, and live right next door lol. You can probably find someone to overlook it for you, or even go somewhere that doesn't do a great visual. Just be careful driving around here. I was pulled over last weekend and almost had my car impounded for the longtubes. Longtubes + GMMG is pretty loud. I'm considering ditching the GMMG for a more quiet muffler, even though it sounds so good!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have the rest of the EGR adn AIR system installed and working?

DO what I did when I lived in SoCal... find a shop that is busy as hell.. and mostly does import vehicles.. they dont know what the hell to look for. My brother passed with long tubes and Carsound cats.. he had all the emissions stuff still in place, including the stock air box (for emissions only) the guy at the place just barely looked under the car.. and passed him..

so some places are dumb, but 95% of them know what to look for.. OR.. you can get around it by other means..

Such as, if you have a friend back home.. and he will let you use his address for mailing purposes.. use that address and keep the registration in that state for another year.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Do you have the rest of the EGR adn AIR system installed and working?

DO what I did when I lived in SoCal... find a shop that is busy as hell.. and mostly does import vehicles.. they dont know what the hell to look for. My brother passed with long tubes and Carsound cats.. he had all the emissions stuff still in place, including the stock air box (for emissions only) the guy at the place just barely looked under the car.. and passed him..

so some places are dumb, but 95% of them know what to look for.. OR.. you can get around it by other means..

Such as, if you have a friend back home.. and he will let you use his address for mailing purposes.. use that address and keep the registration in that state for another year.
i like the idea of the mailing address but i already took my writen/driving test and have a Cali license. ill keep an eye out and try to make some new "friends" and see about them overlooking the visual. i only plan on living here for another 8 or so months so ill try to hold off as long as i can. also i do have all emmisions and AIR still hooked up. thanx
Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

for 8 months.. just use a friend from back home's addres.. OR just get a PO box .. doesnt matter what state you have a license in.. I still have my CA DL but live in UT