Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damn waterpump gasket is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default damn waterpump gasket is leaking

ok so i noticed when i got my car that coolant was leaking somewhere but didnt know where,so i had my car all up in the air like a rocket when putting on my long tubes and i was looking for oil leaks when i had started it and i noticed coolant dripping fast.sure enough it was leaking from the bottom driver side cornor on the gasket of the waterpump.so my question is how hard is it to change the gasket on that? thanks guys
Old 05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Remove your lid, MAF, and bellow assembly. Remove the radiator hoses and 6 bolts to get the water pump off. You also may want to drain some coolant out of the radiator so you don't make a huge mess.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Take the time to drain all of the radiator fluid first. I found that really makes for a much cleaner install. Also, you may want to shop vac the water passages in the block before putting new gaskets on and then wipe down the contact surface with a clean, dry rag for a good mate of gasket to block surface. King James is right though, it's a very easy process and could be done either way we have described.

By shop vac the water passages, I don't mean to suck the heads dry. Only take out as much as is needed to keep the fluid away from the gasket you are applying so it will remain coolant free and clean until you can get everything buttoned up. Remember to retorque the water pump bolts after a few heat cycles to ensure a tight motor with no leaks.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks guys