Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR, does it affect the O2's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR, does it affect the O2's?

Ok so when i did my knock sensors apparently i didnt hook up my AIR. So now im thowing a code for the AIR since i do belive its not hooked up

Well if thats the case then am i gonna run rich/lean since the computers planning for added oxygen (from the AIR pump) but its really not going to be there since its off. Would this throw my tune off?

TIA
Old 05-13-2006, 01:20 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AIR pump only runs untill the car is up to temp (actually untill the cats are up to temp), then it shuts down. After this, it doesn't make a damn if it's installed or not. If anything, the AFR would be thrown off more with the pump still working.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Air Injection Reactor pump injects air into each manifold at the head flange, via an integral runner. The PCM tells the AIR pump how long to stay on after start-up. So, does it affect the 02 sensors? I would say no; however, I'm sure the 02 sensors "see" the slight addition of oxygen content in the exhaust gas, but since 02 content is within acceptable limits, the PCM doesn't care. The extra oxygen ensures more complete combustion upon cold-start. Like BlurLS1 said, once operating temperature is reached, there is no further need for additional air, so the PCM turns the AIR pump off.

In the grand scheme of clean air, blue skies, and butterflys, conjured up by granola-eating tree-huggers, it's a ridiculous piece of equipment. The money spent researching, developing, and manufacturing AIR pump systems could have been put to far better use, clean air-wise, on things like mandating cleaner, gasoline-powered lawn & garden equipment. There is far more air pollution caused by the amount of gasoline spilled every day (VOCs released to atmosphere), than is caused by the small amount of additional emissions released when your non-AIR pump-equipped Trans Am warms up for a few minutes. Ever see an 02 sensor or AIR pump on your garden tiller or weed whacker? How many millions of those things get started up every day?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, when the air is injected the PCM watches the O2 signal to determine that the signal has indeed changed due to the extra air introduced. Does it affect the O2's, not really, but it does use them to conduct the test that AIR is working correctly.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

cool thanks for the info guys!