Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice

I have a 2001 camaro ss that I just recently bought and I am looking to start modding. I was hoping to start on the exhaust system first. I am having a hard time deciding on wether to go with the Borla or Corsa. I like the tips and the sound of the Corsa but feel I may be missing out if I dont go with the Borla and its interchangeable plates. I guess my questions to you are:

1. Which is the loudest of the two?
2. Which is the best flowing of the two?
3. In your opinion which sounds better with Long tubes?

I am looking for intimidating note from my exhaust and dont really care a whole lot for the Loud Mouth, so out of these two exhaust which would help me achieve that note? Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned

Here is my best advice.

If you are gonna go at this systematically which it looks like you are doing.. do it once and never look back.

Go QTP or Kooks Long Tubes, True Dual Mandrel Bent, Corsa exhaust tips.

Yes expensive.. but if you look at it this way.. alot of people (me included) go mac midlengths and y pipe with cats and a good catback (lets say borla). Thats ROUGHLY 1400 plus installation.

Then you decide you want to scrap the headers for long tubes and you go with qtp's.. thats ANOTHER 700 bucks and you need a different y pipe and you go with theirs.. 525 right there. So another 1250 for indecisiveness. Then at the end of the day you decide true duals to just get it over with and not have hanging low issues. Another 1500 bucks

You JUST spent roughly over 4 grand for true duals lol!

And yes, this actually happend to me

So my advice.. true duals with a GOOD long tube.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice WyckedCamaro! Where should I look for a true dual system? I have heard a Trans Am on ls1sounds.com with the true dual set up that sounded really nice. Let me ask you all this. What are the hp gains from a true dual system? are they around the same gains as a catback or would you gain around the same? And I know Long tubes are not emmissions legal, so is a true dual set-up emmissions legal? Sorry for all the questions here but I am trying to learn from the best! Thank you all.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Wyckedcamaro, is right, just go true duals and Kooks/QTP and never look back. Bassani just came out with a system over the axel and TSP offers an X-pipe set-up dumped before the axel. Other than these two vendors you pretty much need to piece all of the parts together and make several decisions whether you want to run cats, X or H-pipe, over or under the axel, 2.5 or 3" tubing, and muffler choice. I am currently having true duals installed and I chose to go with, Carsound Cats, X-pipe, Sweet Thunder mufflers, under the axel to Corsa premium tips. Do searches for true dauls and there will be all the info. you will ever need.

If you do choose to stay with a Y-pipe set up, my brother is running Corsa with SLP headers and sounds awesome you will not be disappointed. However 99% of the members on here regard GMMG as the best cat back exhaust for an F-body.

If you run cats you will have a chance to pass emissions but will of course depend on what state you are testing in and how well you know the shop manager.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

If you stay with the Y setup, you can't go wrong with Corsa. Where I am from everyone has Borla's, and I just don't like how it sounds especially with LT and no cats.
I have high flow cats on mine, my car is quiet at idle (still sounds good) but at WOT it is beautiful. Of course that is how I wanted it.