Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do glasspacks sound.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and with glasspacks its required that u have those nasty 4 inch tail pipes that almost drag the ground
Old 05-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY! I had glasspacks on my Duster with a 440 under the hood, it sounded exactly like the challenger from Vanishing Point. . They sound a lot better broken in behind a big block. I'm actually kinda scared to find out how they would sound behind an LS1.

If you want redneck, try putting Loudmouth 1's on a 5.0 mustang with an O/R H-pipe! Been there, done that.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

i too am on the glasspack hater list.i temporarily had a dual 2 1/2 24" glasspack on a 3rd gen that sounded horrible.now dual 3 " with 40 series flows shakes the earth.i tried bullets but they were "way" too loud.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

bullets and glass packs are essentailly the same thing. They are both absorption mufflers, the only difference being one typically uses metal fibre packing and the other glass fibre packing. So as long as you compare the same style/size they will tend to sound very similar.

Glass fibre packing does dend to break up and reduce it's affectivness over time, so many claim there is a break in period with them where they are get louder over the first few hundred miles of use.

I've heard glass packs and in the form of the classic "cherry bomb" muffler on many V8's and they can sound very very good. But as with all mufflers on a poor setup they can sound horriable.

For ease and price I'd go for Magnaflow bullets of similar as they are compact and flow well and can be had for not a lot of $$ on Ebay. Borla and others make comparable bullet mufflers.

Powerstick chambered mufflers as also a great alternative but totally different as they are a delflection stlye muffler.

Ignore the nay sayers and go for what you want, glass packs just seem to have developed a stigma in the same way some people beleive all Camaro owners are Red Necks????
Old 05-23-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
bullets and glass packs are essentailly the same thing. They are both absorption mufflers, the only difference being one typically uses metal fibre packing and the other glass fibre packing. So as long as you compare the same style/size they will tend to sound very similar.

Glass fibre packing does dend to break up and reduce it's affectivness over time, so many claim there is a break in period with them where they are get louder over the first few hundred miles of use.

I've heard glass packs and in the form of the classic "cherry bomb" muffler on many V8's and they can sound very very good. But as with all mufflers on a poor setup they can sound horriable.

For ease and price I'd go for Magnaflow bullets of similar as they are compact and flow well and can be had for not a lot of $$ on Ebay. Borla and others make comparable bullet mufflers.

Powerstick chambered mufflers as also a great alternative but totally different as they are a delflection stlye muffler.

Ignore the nay sayers and go for what you want, glass packs just seem to have developed a stigma in the same way some people beleive all Camaro owners are Red Necks????

While SOME bullet mufflers and glasspacks are similar in design, they don't sound alike. Some bullet mufflers are packed with fiberglass, some with stainless steel and some without packing. Fiberglass packing makes for a horrible sound IMO.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its just got that whiny rasp to it
Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kdstang
[glasspacks] They sound a lot better broken in behind a big block.
I had some on my 86 suburban with a 454, that thing was sweet! Too bad i had to replace them yearly. My friend has a set on his ford muddin truck. It has a 460 with long tubes and dual 3" stacks. That thing sounds pretty mean tearin down a trail though some mud.
But i've heard packs on smaller v8's, 6's and 4's, they sounded like crap!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

i put glasspack on my honda. it is the funniest sound i have ever heard. sounds kinda like a old rusy lawn mower. but i thought it might sound ok. will see how much money i have laying around.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by kdstang
HEY! I had glasspacks on my Duster with a 440 under the hood, it sounded exactly like the challenger from Vanishing Point. . They sound a lot better broken in behind a big block. I'm actually kinda scared to find out how they would sound behind an LS1.

If you want redneck, try putting Loudmouth 1's on a 5.0 mustang with an O/R H-pipe! Been there, done that.
Does anyone here REALLY KNOW what an LS1 sounds like with headers/true duals/glasspacks/X or H -pipe ???? There are none on ls1sounds..
Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Does anyone here REALLY KNOW what an LS1 sounds like with headers/true duals/glasspacks/X or H -pipe ???? There are none on ls1sounds..

There is a reason for it lol!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
There is a reason for it lol!
I still would like to hear it..why don't one of you get this setup so I can.....
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

I still would like to hear it..why don't one of you get this setup so I can.....
I'm with ya.....I'd still like to hear it regardless lol!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This dude is right, PRETTY MUCH just like bullets.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you see the biggest issues are modern bullet mufflers like the Borla XR-1 use metal packing, this works well/better. Other mufflers then to be deflection style and don't have any packing at all. So a regular glasspack is pretty rare nowadays. I have heard many Rover V8's with glasspacks on and they sound abosultly GREAT! Very old school racey sort of sound. An LS1 is a totally different engine though.

Here's a Borla XR-1, it uses stainless steel packing:

This is a delfector style muffler, not there's no packing (Flowmaster race series):

And here's a Magnaflow muffler, I'm not cetain what packing material is used but it looks like two different types. One is evidently metal but is the other glass fibre? So maybe glasspacks are used on LS1's?:
Old 05-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Angry

Glasspacks are gay
Old 05-24-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Well you see the biggest issues are modern bullet mufflers like the Borla XR-1 use metal packing, this works well/better. Other mufflers then to be deflection style and don't have any packing at all. So a regular glasspack is pretty rare nowadays. I have heard many Rover V8's with glasspacks on and they sound abosultly GREAT! Very old school racey sort of sound. An LS1 is a totally different engine though.

Here's a Borla XR-1, it uses stainless steel packing:

This is a delfector style muffler, not there's no packing (Flowmaster race series):

And here's a Magnaflow muffler, I'm not cetain what packing material is used but it looks like two different types. One is evidently metal but is the other glass fibre? So maybe glasspacks are used on LS1's?:
good pics man..

Quick Reply: how do glasspacks sound.