Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealed airbox or not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed airbox or not???

I have a 98 Z with the regular stock hood and the FRA! mod and would it be good if I sealed off the airbox....so that all the air being sucked in would have nowhere to go but up in through the sealed MTI lid?....I have seen many SS type hoods that have this done...and was wondering if it would work on a regular Z hood?.....
Old 01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Sealed airbox or not???

on a SS i don't think it would be a good idea because the air from the hood enters there in front of the lid, if you want your SS hood to function. on the non SS hood, i would definatly seal the front lid up with weather striping.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen the opposite because most if not all SS type hoods are non functional....but anymore input on this??
Old 01-28-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

The Society of Automotive Engineers did an artlicle in a mag a few months ago on hot rodding the SS. It proved the stock SS hood is bogus.

Their mod involved cutting additional holes in the intake, opening up the exhaust side of the hood and sealing the hood against the air box with weather sealing....this produced virtualy zippo gains....

...most of the intake air for our cars (SS and Non-SS) comes from the bottom of the intake....in the article they cut the plastic on the bottom of the air box and installed an SLP cold air intake ...this produced good reductions in ET (No difference was reported on the dyno since it only has a small fan infront of the car to mimic the effect of air at highway speeds...
Old 01-29-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I should seal it with weatherstripping or not?
Will it help.....?in terms of 1/4 mile....
Old 01-29-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

....if it floats you boat, seal the hood against the airbox with a weather sealing strip.

Be careful not to ever drive in the rain however. In the stock setup, the rain sucked into the ram air is automatically discharged in the space between the ram hood exhaust and the airbox.

If you seal the hood against the box, the rain has no where to go except in your engine.

This consequence adds new meaning to the term "your engine is flooded" In this case, it is a literal meaning!!!!!