Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Header doesnt fit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Header doesnt fit!!!

Has anyone ever had problems with the front bolt on the driver side header not aligning with the hole in the cylinder head before? I have my exhast almost done, but it has a nasty leak in the front of the drivers side casue the one bolt will not go it. The holes are so far off i think it might be a defect. They are hooker long tubes with a jet hot coating and I was just wondering if anyone else ever had a problem like this???
Old 01-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Hooker Header doesnt fit!!!

I've never heard of this. Mine fit ok. Is it possible you have the gasket wrong side out? The holes won't look like they line up then.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Launching!

hey man. i know how you feel. so what you are saying is that you are running the car without a front bolt in the drivers side? that might be why you have an exhaust leak for one? I helped a friend of mine put on some hooker long tubes a couple of weeks ago. he had about the same problem. another guy tried to force the bolt in at an angle and stripped out the first couple of threads. the next day, he went and bought a tap and die set. we fixed the hole and filed the drivers side header down a little to make it work. the hole was already out of round. it seemed a little oblong to begin with. it sounds to me like yours may be a little more off than warren's was. anyhow, just letting you know your aren't the first person it has happened to. good luck!
Old 01-30-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah that was my car that had the messed up hole on the header. It was kind of a oval shape. It sucked because I had the header on and all bolts in except that front one. I think there might have been some thing in the way that made that bolt go in side ways. Make sue there is no jet-hot coating in that whole. Well good luck.
Warren
Old 01-30-2003, 10:16 AM
8 Second Club

did you diconnect the bottom side of the header first? cause if you don't it will pull the header away from the head.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt have any problems w/ mine. whe you put them on just get all the bolts started and then tighten them down. By starting on one side and working towards the other will push it out of alignment and also its better to get them started and then tighten them from the center outwards for better gasket seal.

JR