Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coat cat-back to protect from road salt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:59 AM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coat cat-back to protect from road salt?

My Hooker cat-back should be here soon. Is there any type of clear coating I can spray on to protect it from the salt?
Old 02-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Coat cat-back to protect from road salt?

Hey Buckeye...

My Hooker catback made it through the winter just fine. However, the inside of the tips rusted last summer with normal condesation. Before installation you might want to clean inside the tips really well then clear coat them inside. The chrome tips have held up like a champ! Good luck and let me know your results if you decide to clear coat it.

Dan
Old 02-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> My Hooker catback made it through the winter just fine. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I should say...it's currently making it through the winter fine. I just got it last summer.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of coating a catback, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. It sounds expensive. You should send you system back and order a Stainless Steel system. I can tell you from experience. Not for winter road salt, but from saltwater. I live in south Louisana and I fish the saltwater marsh. I tow my boat to the boat launch and there is always some saltwater in the parking lot. Sometimes the boat launch floods when the tide is high and the south wind blows hard. That saltwater is murder on an exhaust system. It doesn't happen overnite, but it is happening none the less. My aluminized Gibson catback rusted thru. I upgraded to stainless which is warranted against rust. If this system rusts out they have to replace it. Go with stainless and don't worry about coating your catback.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want to spray or paint it, either high temp spary, and give it several coats or POR15 just came out with high temp paint in silver - good to 1400 degrees.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I jet-coated my whole 4-inch mufflex from the lt's to the pipes coming out(use my factory CME tips). the main benefit is the exhaust doesnt get hot at all and it looks a lot better after awile then stainless steel because the ceramic keeps is shine.