Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thermostat question

ok i need a little advice, i live in the california valley which can get up to 105+ degrees in the summer and averages around mid 90s to 100 degrees. In the winter it stays around in the 40s to 50 it rarely gets below 32* even at night. anyway i just bought a 160* thermostat so i could change the timming with my programer and run a little cooler in the summer. what i want to know is if you guys think its ok to use a 160* thermostat period. if so should i just use it in the summer only or year around. i have heard that the car may not run properly when not at operating temp. but if its 100* out, i think i should have all the help i can get. please let me know your opinion.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres been some contreversy over this topic in the past.. when you run ur car with a 160* thermostat, it doesnt really allow your engine to warm up all the way, in turn hurting some of the internals... now since youre out here in california (and i bear witness to the temps in the valley), ur ls1 will struggle to stay at a low temp no matter what thermostat u have. if i were you id just play it safe and throw in a 180* thermostat.. still a lower temp than 210*.. and u should be safe when it cools down out here... just my 2cents worth
Old 06-05-2006, 12:21 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search, there's been a few threads about this lately with some good information.