Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Kooks Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Kooks Headers

I am currently looking in to buying some QTP longtube or Kooks longtube headers. I know that QTP has the best clearence, but what about the Kooks? Do they tuck under the car nicely like the QTP?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I understand the Kooks and QTP are similar in design, except the QTPs have the HVMC collectors. NO, they aren' t made by the same company. I know the Kooks has a velocity spike, like the standard QTPs had, a while ago, and both are T304 stainless. I understand you have tubing size options through Kooks, which I don' t think QTP offers yet. Y-pipes are a different story though. The Kooks is better, from what I have seen, BUT, the QTP has a merge collector, even though it gives up some clearance. I have modified my car, a little, for a little more ground clearance, by sectioning a piece of a stamped crossmember, in the floor, above the collector outlet. It' s only a 4"x2" piece, and I felt my SLP SFCs made up for what I cut out. I am planning on adding a piece of shaped sheetmetal to that area, later, to make up for the opening, but, I have not noticed no negative side effects. I have better clearance though.

I guess it boils down to a few things: QTP has HVMC merge collectors and a merge collector in the y-pipe unlike Kooks, Kooks y-pipe will likely have better ground clearance, BOTH are T304 SS, Kooks has more tubing size options, and QTPs are polished.

Hopefully this is helpful. I think both are comparably priced, but, I think the QTPs are a little more difficult to get, because of demand. There have been posts, lately about quality, but, I remember seeing similar posts about Kooks a while ago. Both seem to be reputable companies, and I' m sure would be happy to get you squared away.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kooks headers fit great.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

how is the kooks catted y? or was urs a ORY
Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

I installed Kook's 1 7/8 headers and 3' ORY on my car a couple of weeks ago. The only problem I had was mating the y-pipe to my Borla catback. I had to have about 2.5" cut off the intermediate pipe of the catback so it would fit correctly. The rest of the fitment is excellent, no clearance issues.