Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first mods!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first mods!

Well, I have had my 01 SS for a little over a year now, and money has been a little tight for me. I finally ordered a 3 inch QTP electric cut-out for the I-pipe, which I just received and I am currently waiting for my Corsa with the premium pro series tips to arrive. So, how do you think I am doing thus far? My header project is next on the check list. Im gonna try and sock some money away for either some QTP's or Kooks LT's. Thank you all for reading, and let me know what you think.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

know what you mean about tight cash. I think im gonna finally order my headers and exhaust next month. pacestter LTs and tsp ORY and rumbler catback. spend around a grand on it and all the nessecary tuning and accessories to go with it. Hopefully I can find the time to install it all myself.

sounds like you got a great start. Just be sure to reuse your oem header gaskets or buy new OEM ones. The ones that generally come with a lot of headers are crap. Not sure on the QTP and KOOKS though.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Teching In

QTP or kooks are both really good headers, some people have had issues with qtp's recently though... I'm on the same level as you, i have a catback looking for a headers and a y... I was going to go the pacesetter tsp ory but I'd rather do it right the first time and go stainless so I'll end up ordering qtp's and a qtp ory in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Remember, if cash gets tight, you can do some mods that arent as expensive.

A Lid is always a great place to start and if your car is a M6, maybe a shifter or at least a shortstick.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Nice choice with the Corsa..(those tips rock), I love my QTP, as for headers those are good, but I like Hooker Headers..I would recc. them even though the coated longtubes are $650 or so. Great torque gains
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you an A4 or an M6?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are tight on money I, personally, would avoid the expensive line of mods. Why electric cutout instead of standard? Why the Corsa? Why QTP/Kooks instead of Pacesetters? If you know what you want then by all means buy it and don't cheap out if you will regret it, though.

Definately pick up a lid if you don't have one yet. Possibly the best bang for your buck there is.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
If you are tight on money I, personally, would avoid the expensive line of mods. Why electric cutout instead of standard? Why the Corsa? Why QTP/Kooks instead of Pacesetters? If you know what you want then by all means buy it and don't cheap out if you will regret it, though.

Definately pick up a lid if you don't have one yet. Possibly the best bang for your buck there is.
Should we find out if we need to give him the converter pitch?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Should we find out if we need to give him the converter pitch?

Waiting for the M6 vs A4 answer.

If A4 he needs a converter ASAP. (got that?)

If M6 he needs warned about the rear end.

Then again you can break you rear with an A4. I am on my second one.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Are you an A4 or an M6?

Its an a4, so I'll be looking into a stall converter real soon. A buddy of mine said to start with a stall, but I wanted to get the exhaust done first.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Waiting for the M6 vs A4 answer.

If A4 he needs a converter ASAP. (got that?)

If M6 he needs warned about the rear end.

Then again you can break you rear with an A4. I am on my second one.

What gears are you using?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
What gears are you using?
My stock ratio: 3.23s

Whole new (to me) rear end as of a couple months ago though. I tried to get some cool weather times with my new Yank converter and the rear end went . No more track runs for quite awhile now.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if ur running track...yea get higher gears...but personally i like my top end sooo i kept my gears..ehh...u should love that cutout
Old 06-22-2006, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

My stock ratio: 3.23s

Whole new (to me) rear end as of a couple months ago though. I tried to get some cool weather times with my new Yank converter and the rear end went . No more track runs for quite awhile now.
Damn man, you have some luck. You must have run some sticky *** tires to blow your rear.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

You should sit down and make a list of what you want for your car in the end and come up with a good game plan on the order of modding. You don't need the best but don't go the cheapest route either. Do it slow and make it a quality mod. Might save yourself some money in the long run instead of replacing **** that is cheap or from just changing your mind. I speak from experience. Also use this site for research it is the best tool out there.
Your off to a good start too!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:10 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mods lead to more mods Welcome to your new habit

Good start so far...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Damn man, you have some luck. You must have run some sticky *** tires to blow your rear.
Of course I had sticky tires. I was going for a 1.5X 60'. Previous bests were all 1.64s. I know that's hard on the rear, but considering the fact that it's an auto with only 64k miles and not a whole lot of track passes that didn't act up at all I figured I could get away with a few more passes. NOT.

Rear end didn't bother me too much. Cost $200 plus gas to get a new rear end and install it myself. Beats the hell out of what it costs when the converter or tranny has an issue.

CamaroSS: I went the same route you did. Exaust was my first real mod and converter was second. I just love the way it sounds so I am glad I did the exhaust first, even though the converter is a real kick in the pants. My advice: go with a 3500 or higher and do a shift kit, tranny cooler, trans temp gauge, drag radials and subframe connectors all at once.