Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about exhaust

Okay my newly aquired WS6 is all stock and veryyyyyyyy quiet... right now I don't have the money to do anything about it but I will be saving up. My camaro had cutouts with the whole gutted cats and o2 sims. This was a pretty cheap set up but I am wondering if it will pass emissions. I had my inspection done before I had the cutout put in. I read the post about cutouts but it doesn't answer my questions exactly. On the package it says that it increases mpg is this true? I have also heard that having cutouts is bad for the engine and warps things
Anyway I am pretty much looking for a loud exhaust that doesn't sound like an old beaten 70's pick up truck.
ALSO I have another question if you put cutouts on does it matter what kind of muffler and tips you have? Does it make it sound any different?
Anyway sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I decide on an exhaust system. BTW I don't have the money for expensive things like headers or a different cam.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by rayvendawn
ALSO I have another question if you put cutouts on does it matter what kind of muffler and tips you have? Does it make it sound any different?
This is the only part I feel I can answer, so here goes. When you have the cutouts open, not at all. The cutouts will vent the exhaust, and very little exhuast will exit through the muffler. All of the sound will be coming from the cutouts. With them closed, it will sound normal through your muffler.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have open cutouts the exhaust behind the cutouts is nothing but dead weight and affects nothing.

No cats and a cutout will sound like a raspy hick pickup truck. Run a real muffler or keep cats.

What kind of emissions test? A cutout being present should not keep you from passing emissions. If they do a visual and ask claim it is for track use only.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you gut the cats, you won't pass a sniffer, however if all you have to pass is an OBD2 test (check pcm for codes), and a visual, then you should pass, as long as there are no codes
Having cutouts won't warp anything, and the only damage is likely to be on the paint on the underside of the body (if the cutout is pointed at the underside)
It makes no difference what muffler and tips you have when the cutout is open, all the exhaust goes out the cutout, and the muffler is just there for looks
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as you keep your cats on, the cutout should be exactly what you're looking for. It's loud and sounds very mean. Actually, it sounds no different behind stock manifolds/cats than an open Borla, Loudmouth, or even a GMMG system (yes, my friend has both a GMMG & cutout and they sound the same outside the car at any rpm; the cutout is just a little louder). So, save yourself the money and just get the cutout which you can open or close any time you want in order to be quiet or loud (best of both worlds). If you want an electric one, I definitely recommend the DMH which is a quality peice that comes with a nice warranty.

Now when you eventually install some LT headers, then I'd recommend you look into a good cat-back system to compliment them or that cutout will be outrageously loud.

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Jeez thanks you guys were.. outragiously helpful lol