Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying out the radiator reserve

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If it is a blown head gasket, now's the perfect time for a set of $900 TSP CNC'd heads.
and pistons, and install, and a tune...this is gettin' pricey for the dood, dood
Old 06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen ls1's make great power, but blow coolant on high rpm passes. It is definately a blown head gasket. Doing the pressure test on the cooling system is the easy way to figure out if the gaskets are leaking.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strokedls1
I have seen ls1's make great power, but blow coolant on high rpm passes. It is definately a blown head gasket. Doing the pressure test on the cooling system is the easy way to figure out if the gaskets are leaking.
You talkin to me or him? If it was a blown headgasket wouldnt the coolant be low?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

yeah dont know if i can help ya there. If nothinng is leaking or spraying anywhere i wouldnt worry about it. What happens when you run your car hard for 5 mins or so? I mean do you smell it worse then or still nothing? Just to ease your mind you could get a compression check done just in case.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
You talkin to me or him? If it was a blown headgasket wouldnt the coolant be low?
I was talking to him. If your radiator is low then you know you have a problem. Pressure test the cap and system to make sure no issues are present. If you need a new cap try to get a stant. Otherwise maybe a good idea to buy an lt1 radiator. It has twice the capacity of a ls1 radiator, but have the exact same external and mounting dimensions. You just need to block off the heater core connections.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah it sounds like a blown head gasket. I had the same problem last year. The car would run fine until I get on it hard. THe temp would shoot up and coolant would sprew all over the engine. I tried burping the system and the same results. I took it to a dealership and they performed a test to see it any exhaust was getting into the coolent and BAM that was the problem. So they told me I had 1 of 3 problems. Crack block , cracked heads, or blown gaskets. I tore the motor down and we found that the gaskets did appear to be worn to say the least. Well I have just been able to replace everything so I will be able to advise in a few days if this indeed fixed the problem. Good luck on getting the problem solved.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Restricted User

i had the same problem a few weeks ago with the violent overflows at the coolant reservoir. mine ended up being 2 problems. a sticking stat and my secondary fan speeds not coming on after a hard run or highway speeds. i replace the stat and reset the fans for the stat and everything is fine now.