Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rasp Question ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go outside, stick your face by the tailpipes and let someone rev it up to 5 grand in neutral then quickly take their foot off. it won't be a smooth deceleration. it'll pop and go *BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT*
Old 07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
go outside, stick your face by the tailpipes and let someone rev it up to 5 grand in neutral then quickly take their foot off. it won't be a smooth deceleration. it'll pop and go *BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT*
Again, rasp has NOTHING to do with how an exhaust sounds after you rev it. That popping you'll hear is more of a backfire than anything else. If that was rasp, the only people who would worry about it were those who sat in their driveways and revved up their cars a lot. LS1's rasp shortly after 2000rpm and hold it for about 500rpm. This is the rasp 99% of the people on this board are referring to.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
Again, rasp has NOTHING to do with how an exhaust sounds after you rev it. That popping you'll hear is more of a backfire than anything else. If that was rasp, the only people who would worry about it were those who sat in their driveways and revved up their cars a lot. LS1's rasp shortly after 2000rpm and hold it for about 500rpm. This is the rasp 99% of the people on this board are referring to.

who said anything about backfiring? it's not backfiring! it's popping due to unequal firing order in the motor and an uneven length y-pipe. that's the definition of rasp that i've ALWAYS heard and used on boards i've been on (i.e. not just on LS1tech). it's the gurgling in the exhaust. it's not a backfire. it's not tuning issues. when you rev your exhaust in neutral and it gurgles when the rpm's go down, THAT IS RASP. that is the universal definition on boards i've been on.

rasp has everything to do with how your exhaust sounds when you rev it. if it gurgles, it's rasping.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Yes, its a splatty sound that occurs in the RPM range I listed. Drone is a totally different animal. Here's a vid clip where I intentionally made the car rasp. It happens in the very first part of the clip when I'm in second gear, you can clearly hear the exhaust rasping during that rpm range while I accel. Granted it's very toned down on this video due to the nature of the exhaust, but it can still be easily heard. It's an 11mb video, so not 56k friendly. Of course the best way to hear rasp is to just watch someone drive away with LT/ORY/Borla.

http://www.lsuxblake.com/Trans%20Am/SLPDD.wmv
Your car sound awesome you have lt's and ory and hooker. How loud is it at idle?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rasp is the sound made around 2000 rpm not when the exhaust depressurizes and and goes bla aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. That is not rasp. That is the exhaust depressurizing. With a high flow exhaust you are going to get that.

As for cats. A good tune and a good merge and exhaust and you don't need them.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Rasp is the sound made around 2000 rpm not when the exhaust depressurizes and and goes bla aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. That is not rasp. That is the exhaust depressurizing. With a high flow exhaust you are going to get that.

As for cats. A good tune and a good merge and exhaust and you don't need them.
that is the definition of rasp that i have heard on numerous boards including LS1tech. look up rasp. cars that go blat blat blat are regarded as raspy. that's why V6's are considered raspy. they all go blat blat.

rasp has more than one definition. that is the problem.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is the definition of rasp that i have heard on numerous boards including LS1tech. look up rasp. cars that go blat blat blat are regarded as raspy. that's why V6's are considered raspy. they all go blat blat.

rasp has more than one definition. that is the problem.
The problem with that reasoning is that true duels, which do not have rasp, have the blaaaaaah sound when the revs come down from accellerating. It is the depressurization of the exhaust. Rasp is the blat blat blat sound around 2000 rpm.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Dal1as
The problem with that reasoning is that true duels, which do not have rasp, have the blaaaaaah sound when the revs come down from accellerating. It is the depressurization of the exhaust. Rasp is the blat blat blat sound around 2000 rpm.
what the real problem is, there's more than one definition of rasp. some people call BLAT BLAT rasp. some people call the high pitched, tinny sound ~2400rpm's rasp. when i hear rasp, BLAT BLAT pops in my head, but it's NOT the only definition.

the BLAT BLAT is caused by the firing order/uneven exhaust tubing lengths, that i'm pretty sure are the overwhelming causes. as for that tinny sound, god i have no clue what that is caused by, it's just the LS1, but i'm clueless to the part. all i know is, my dual/dual has no tinny sound rasp to it. it does BLAT a little if i rev it high in neutral and when i go WOT and it shifts, but other than that it's great. i'm on stock manifolds though. i'm sure headers will cure most of the BLAT. it's so minor i don't even care.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

who said anything about backfiring? it's not backfiring! it's popping due to unequal firing order in the motor and an uneven length y-pipe. that's the definition of rasp that i've ALWAYS heard and used on boards i've been on (i.e. not just on LS1tech). it's the gurgling in the exhaust. it's not a backfire. it's not tuning issues. when you rev your exhaust in neutral and it gurgles when the rpm's go down, THAT IS RASP. that is the universal definition on boards i've been on.

rasp has everything to do with how your exhaust sounds when you rev it. if it gurgles, it's rasping.
WHOA THERE..." uneven length y-pipe " ??????
Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Resident

as in driver's side of Y is shorter than passanger's side and vice versa. or in our case, in our stocker, our driver's side is crushed. that'll cause rasp. not to mention a poorly crafted merge.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the rasp definition being on the accel a little after 2000 rpms...

BLAT BLAT is most definitely the unequal pressures coming out with very little backpressure (as most ORY/LT/catback cars have) to hold them back and squish them together....has a little to do with the unequal length pipes, but its more a symptom of low backpressure...which is precisely why cats or an extra bullet muffler in the Ipipe reduces it...increase in overall backpressure....

Just about any motor with headers and minimally restricive exhaust can BLAT BLAT....even ricers....put old fashion glasspacks or cherry bombs on any carbureated V8 and you will hear it Blat Blat...but rasp (I'm pretty sure anyway), as someone mentioned before, is a byproduct of Y-pipes and the way the gases mix in the Y...thats why the true dual guys have less issues with it....

Just my .02...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Im with Choco on this. The rasp is the gurgling you hear when you rev, let off, and downshift...that gurgling or blat as choco called it is usually what people think.

Last edited by RedZoutlaw; 09-18-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedZoutlaw
Im with Choco on this. The rasp is the gurgling you hear when you rev, let off, and downshift...that gurgling or blat as choco called it is usually what people think.

Then practically every car rasps then. The exhaust depressurizing and gurgling (Blaaaaah! sound) is very common with almost any free flowing exhaust. You'll hear it in Formula 1, Nascar, Cart, etc.

Quick Reply: Rasp Question ???