Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160* thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
well from what ive always known a car that runs at 210degrees will not run as good as a car that is running at 180.
you're living about 40 years in the past

engines today are more efficient when at ~210*. they get better mpg, give off less emissions and stay cleaner. that sounds like running better to me.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only 1 way to find out lets take it to the track someone with an a4 bc they are most consistant 1st let it cool off make a pass at 180 then let it warm up to 210 and make a pass or 2 and lets see what happens..
Old 08-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by bjamick
only 1 way to find out lets take it to the track someone with an a4 bc they are most consistant 1st let it cool off make a pass at 180 then let it warm up to 210 and make a pass or 2 and lets see what happens..
faster does not equal better running IMO. even if you pick up a lousy tenth, the engine is running less efficiently, producing more emissions, getting lower fuel mileage and can't keep as clean due to the increased emissions. that, in my book, is not a better running car. it's gained performance by compromise. not woth it IMO. get a fan switch for those days at the track. you'll see the same benefits of running cooler when you need it without killing your efficiency.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't care about emissions no cats. Moble 1 syn good to some crazy low temp number, I'm sure better than my coolent. Main reason I can figure out is half the mods and bolt ons for LS1 are for more adv., are cars really like it. (to some level)

You can run more adv. with out detination (knox sense removing adv.) running a cooler temp.

Last time I ran a low temp thermistate was in my IROC. 185 stat the pcm would not run in closed loop under 180. What is the magic temp in a ls1???? (or why is there not one)

Stated earlier 3.4 was more sensitive. (like my IROC) but why?

Think that is a better question.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_951

Last time I ran a low temp thermistate was in my IROC. 185 stat the pcm would not run in closed loop under 180. What is the magic temp in a ls1???? (or why is there not one)

With IATs of -4F and lower, closed loop enables at 140F coolant temp. With IATs of 14F and higher, closed loop enables at 92F coolant temp. A 160 t-stat would have no effect on closed loop enable on a LS1.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now were cooking with gas
Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
faster does not equal better running IMO. even if you pick up a lousy tenth, the engine is running less efficiently, producing more emissions, getting lower fuel mileage and can't keep as clean due to the increased emissions. that, in my book, is not a better running car. it's gained performance by compromise. not woth it IMO. get a fan switch for those days at the track. you'll see the same benefits of running cooler when you need it without killing your efficiency.
What isn't gained performance through compromise? Nearly any modification to a stock automobile is gained by some compromise. As examples, you've added a corsa exhaust and a lid which both increased the NVH levels of your car, but I'm guessing you don't really care. I assume that nobody here really cares about their fuel mileage or emissions while they are making passes at the track either. A fan switch will help cool the fluid in the radiator while stopped, but not much at all in controlling the operating temp of the engine compared to the thermostat.

I'm not arguing that what you've said isn't true. The OEM's are running the cars hotter for a reason. But 99% of the questions asked here are for performance reasons. There's a 12 sec club, 11 sec club, etc. but not a 30mpg club or a 0ppm club.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by hammertime
What isn't gained performance through compromise? Nearly any modification to a stock automobile is gained by some compromise. As examples, you've added a corsa exhaust and a lid which both increased the NVH levels of your car, but I'm guessing you don't really care. I assume that nobody here really cares about their fuel mileage or emissions while they are making passes at the track either. A fan switch will help cool the fluid in the radiator while stopped, but not much at all in controlling the operating temp of the engine compared to the thermostat.

I'm not arguing that what you've said isn't true. The OEM's are running the cars hotter for a reason. But 99% of the questions asked here are for performance reasons. There's a 12 sec club, 11 sec club, etc. but not a 30mpg club or a 0ppm club.
an exhaust doesn't harm the car at all. there is no compromise to the parts. it actually improves efficiency and engine life. getting headers improves engine efficiency. so does a lid, a ported tb, a cold air kit...they're all good for the engine. a t-stat isn't. it lowers efficiency for the sake of power. again, if you guys wanna do it, go ahead. i'll just sit this one out. IMO you're losing more than you're gaining. you will see the same effects with a manual fan switch or reprogrammed fan settings, just with no downsides other than cost.

now maybe you're thinking "what about a blower or turbo?!" yes, that sacrifices engine longevity for the sake of gains, but you're getting HUGE GAINS! it may be totally worth it to you if you want the power. the miniscule gain of the t-stat...if any at all...tells me just leave it alone. again, JMO.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's not really arguing with you. He's saying that nobody asks about performance questions keeping fuel efficiency or pollution in mind... Maybe the car doesn't run as efficient, in fact you're not the first person I've heard explain that (I don't even run a 160* stat, just reprog. fans). It's similar to, who puts what you mentioned, LTs, lid, etc. etc. on the car for efficiency? Odds are it's a very small percent... and if you found this board, odds are you're looking for how to go faster, at the sake of obvious compromises (comfort, noise, etc.). I agree with both IMO.

-J
Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
an exhaust doesn't harm the car at all. there is no compromise to the parts. it actually improves efficiency and engine life. getting headers improves engine efficiency. so does a lid, a ported tb, a cold air kit...they're all good for the engine. a t-stat isn't. it lowers efficiency for the sake of power. again, if you guys wanna do it, go ahead. i'll just sit this one out. IMO you're losing more than you're gaining. you will see the same effects with a manual fan switch or reprogrammed fan settings, just with no downsides other than cost.

now maybe you're thinking "what about a blower or turbo?!" yes, that sacrifices engine longevity for the sake of gains, but you're getting HUGE GAINS! it may be totally worth it to you if you want the power. the miniscule gain of the t-stat...if any at all...tells me just leave it alone. again, JMO.
It really comes down to what is a compromise to you. Some people would never remove a quiet exhaust system to gain 5-7 hp. Adding headers to that makes the car much louder, requires a whole lot more work, and generally is not emissions legal anyways. Some people would never think of getting a car that only seats two people and can't haul anything, but we all have them. We've compromised the utility that other cars offer for performance.

As far as improving efficiency, I wouldn't really even consider going to a lower temp T-stat unless I was also going to be raising compression. Lower coolant temps provide an extra margin of safety against detonation when you are pushing the limits of pump gas. Higher compression helps the efficiency (makes more power), perhaps at the expense of longevity, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

I agree, there probably aren't many people out there who would spend $1000 or more for headers, lid, ported TB, cold air, etc in the name of efficiency. Sure they may achieve 2-3 mpg better, but if you're getting 25 mpg, and you can get 28 mpg for $1000, you've got to drive a lot to earn that money back.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 160 in my TBSS with my LS1 Fans and I only notice a lower temp (170's) at idle, on the move it runs in the low 190's, stock it was 205 (clutch fan), with the Efans and the stock t-stat (187) it was in the low 200's, so like the rest on here, I saw 10-12* difference in the heat with the change.
I am sure in the winter (and when I get the Fans controlled through the ECM) it will run in the 160-170's on the move..

can we run a 50/50 mix with the Coolant or what? I think that is keeping my temps up as well, mine is close to 90% coolant..

Quick Reply: 160* thermostat?