Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problems..revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical problems..revisited

I'm not sure where else to post this, I posted it a while ago but got no responses. Electrical problems suck! Anyway, here is a list of my problems

1. My horn does not work, MOST of the time (I have heard that stock horns commonly go bad).

2. My reading lights on my rearview mirror do not work

3. SOMETIMES my cruise control does not work.
a. When it does work, it sometimes goes off without braking

4. My brights won't come on when I pull back on the blinker lever

5. My floor lights don't come on when I open the door/hit my unlock button on my key FOB.

6. The lights on my console shift indicator have only worked once (that I have seen) when the lights are on.

7. Intermittently, my blinkers don't work right....explanation...everyonce in a while, when I turn left or right on (doesn't matter which), they come on solid instead of blinking...I thought this usually indicated a light out, but all of them come on, the brake lights work fine and my headlights work. I can't nail down a pattern for this at all. After a while, it just goes back to normal.

I have a brand new battery, everything seems to be charging fine from the alternator and I don't know the Fbody electrical systems for $h!t. Fuses all look good, maybe I should replace them all anyway... ANYONE with ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the kind of thing that you have to get someone that knows what they are doing to physically look at it. A short in the multifunction switch, short in the interior lights circuit, something pinched in the steering column. These are my best guesses, Possibly more than one problem. I'd look at it if you didn't live so far away. Internet diagnosing won't really work too well on something like this because it's probably a one-off thing. Lots of looking at wiring diagrams and testing with a multimeter is required. Don't just replace the fuses if they all look good.

P.S. I didn't even know f-bodies had interior floor lights.