Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006 | 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first off i would like to give thanks to DEMONBIRD for coming out to help with the install this guy knows his ****. It took him one try and boom header was in and done in less than 15 min. Thanks allot he saved my life. Also like to thank strokedls1 for calling and coming out to make sure the install went ok. Now all i have to do is put coil pack on, steering linkage, o2 sensors, plug wires, and put the true dual set up on tomorrow. Thanks everyone on ls1.com for your guidence and advice.
Old 09-06-2006 | 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man its good to see people on this site help somebody out. As soon as this guy had trouble 3 people jumped up to go over and help out. Congrats on getting em in man!
Old 09-06-2006 | 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, everyone was great and most importantly im not discouraged from making future mods because i know when times get tough people will band togeather to help. All i can do is help out with information or assistance as best i can. And again thanks to all who helped with information and especially thanks to DEAMONBIRD for taking time out of his day off and driving 30 miles to come help. thanks
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Thanks, everyone was great and most importantly im not discouraged from making future mods because i know when times get tough people will band togeather to help. All i can do is help out with information or assistance as best i can. And again thanks to all who helped with information and especially thanks to DEAMONBIRD for taking time out of his day off and driving 30 miles to come help. thanks

yea, marks a good guy. glad he and other helped ya out, you musta missed but i offered! wouldnt have been able to make it tonight though i had class!
Old 09-06-2006 | 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes i know, but mark already said he would be out tonight but thanks for offering though. Always glad when people offer help when you need it. thanks
Old 09-06-2006 | 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
There is a trick with Kooks(very easy).The car has to be high enough for the header to stand straight up under the car.The downpipes of the header have to be infront of the oil drain plug when you push the header up into the engine bay.Then they will twist in very easilly.

No need to disconnect anything.
He's exactly right. Now that I know to do it this way, the DS header goes in like buttah.
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Hey dude, you can finish this up yourself. When I quickly installed mine I didn't get the car high enough. My ghetto fix was to use the jack to lift the header into place on the driver's side. I didn't have any help (didn't know anyone on this site yet), so the jack was my helping hand (as were boxes and phone books).

I placed the header as high up and as straight up as it would go. I saw the only thing holding it back was the wheel well and maybe the steering linkage. I thought I would ease it in and before the car started lifting off the jacks, I would stop. I loosened the steering linkage but didn't disconnect anything, just wanted a little wiggle room. The car moved not more than an inch (but not off the jacks) and it was in. Maybe two pulls on the lever.
That's got to be the dumbest, most dangerous piece of advice I've heard yet on this site. Jacking the headers in to make them fit?? I know if I spent the hard earned coin for Kooks, I wouldn't subject them to such a, as you put it, ghetto method.

Search is your friend. Plenty of people have installed Kooks headers without destroying, distorting, or ******* them up. Plus all have lived another day without playing hydraulic jack roulette. Safety first, or let Darwin sort it out I guess.
Old 09-06-2006 | 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pics...
Old 09-07-2006 | 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just wanted to post that i finally got it all hooked up. And you guys were right, even though it was a pain it was worth it. kooks with true duals sounds incredable. Im still waiting on my magnaflow bullets to get here this weekend so i can have a muffler shop fab up my over axle setup. I have a question how much will magnaflow bullets quiet it down because now im worried about getting pulled over because its too loud. So what i was thinking is i could run two sets of magnaflow bullets in line on each side hoping this would quiet it down some but now too much. thanks
Old 09-07-2006 | 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know how loud, but don't worry about being pulled over...
don't stand out on the freeway, pace yourself with traffic...
just drive properly, use your turn signals, they will leave you alone.