Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating LTs setup or just catted Y in Mass.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating LTs setup or just catted Y in Mass.....

Here's my story...I live in Mass. and need to get my car to pass inspection. I'm driving around with a rejection sticker for a problem which has since been fixed. Now, before I could get a valid sticker, I got a SES light for both cats (Codes P0420 and P0430) and was thinking about getting a set of LT headers with AIR and EGR, and a catted Y pipe with O2 sims, and a nice 3" catback. Now lemme get this straight....I have no problem getting whatever codes this throws tuned out and the visual inspection is NOT an issue for me (I know someone), but are you telling me I absolutely cannot pass an emissions test with this setup?????? Again, visual insp. is no prob...I know SES lights can be tuned out, but will I fail the sniffer test, which I assume means the emissions part of the state inspection???? (assuming sniffer test and emissions test are the same thing) Please, tell me it isn't so.....
Someone please let me know. I've been searching every night for two weeks about this and I can't seem to figure this one out. I REALLY don't want to have to swap everything back when it's insp. time, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into here...
My SS is sitting in the garage and needs to be driven...PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you know someone for the visual that wont be an issue. Most cars run rich when headers are installed. That would be the only problem I forsee you failing for. The Unburned gas may fail on the sniffer test, but you can test again and find out. Another option would be after the header install is to have someone tune you so that you AFR is normal, that way the sniffer test wont be a problem. Lots of people have even passed the sniffer with headers and a 224 114 cam. If you have the stock cam even better.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. My biggest fear is having further trouble getting my inspection sticker. Guess I'll be taking the car for the header install and getting a tune before going to an inspection station, huh??? Well, at least I don't have to worry about taking eveything off and swapping to stock every year to pass. Thanks again. Anyone else from Massachusetts have any input?????

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
If you know someone for the visual that wont be an issue. Most cars run rich when headers are installed. That would be the only problem I forsee you failing for. The Unburned gas may fail on the sniffer test, but you can test again and find out. Another option would be after the header install is to have someone tune you so that you AFR is normal, that way the sniffer test wont be a problem. Lots of people have even passed the sniffer with headers and a 224 114 cam. If you have the stock cam even better.