Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to run open headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The valve STEM could bend because of the hot air. the valve face both intake and exhaust experience tremendous heat, but the exhaust stem is hotter from the gas exiting the port. and if reversion ( a true thing that can occur) happens it could char the exhasut valve)

But I relaized why when I drove with the Y pipe the car stuttered. because backpressure was so low that the computer didnt know what was going on was was learning the different exhaust flow.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
The valve STEM could bend because of the hot air. the valve face both intake and exhaust experience tremendous heat, but the exhaust stem is hotter from the gas exiting the port. and if reversion ( a true thing that can occur) happens it could char the exhasut valve)

But I relaized why when I drove with the Y pipe the car stuttered. because backpressure was so low that the computer didnt know what was going on was was learning the different exhaust flow.

show me one case of that happening. I ran open y pipe for 2 months...everyday, 75 miles one way to work and 75 miles back. 5 days a week and then the normal bullshit driving on the weekend, plus a few track runs. My mileage didn't even change.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive drove mine a couple times with open headers, but ive heard some people on here drove theres for like 2 months.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not to mention all the old WW2 airplanes flying at freezing *** cold altitude, and not to mention all the short pipe open header dragsters, etc.

Quick Reply: Is it bad to run open headers?