Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor spliced extension mess up

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor spliced extension mess up

So I just installed a set of headers the other day. The very last thing I did was splice in some extensions for the front O2 sensors. I was in a hurry and didnt notice that I extended one front O2 sensor and one rear O2 sensor. The car worked fine for a couple days but now its runs like ***, it stalls and sputters like crazy. I dont know which sensor actually belongs in the front, All I know is I have two sensors sitting in my garage one with a long lead and one with a short lead. Can some one tell me how to tell the front and rear sensors apart.

The stickies told me I F***ed up by using a rear O2 in the front, but not how to tell them apart.

Thanks,
Old 09-17-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go spend the money and buy 2 new front ones and be done!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is probably with your splices, not which sensor you used. The 4 sensors all function the same. Only difference is the wire length on some. Go buy some real extensions and use the sensors you didn't cut, or buy the Vette rear sensors with the longer wires.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All four of mine looked identical. I knew which ones where the rear though. The rears were dirtier because they don't get as hot to burn off the carbon.

I did figure out that if you try to soder and shrink wrap, the soder doesn't work too well. I can soder really good, but I was having a hell of a time. I then figured out it was because the O2 wires are steel and I was using copper. The soder would go to the copper and not to the steel. The steel wouldn't heat up enough to melt the soder.