Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube header ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Long Tube header ?s.

Due to recent engine sizes and the lack of any room in the engine compartments. How important is it to keep the header length the same, vs having them range from 2-5 inches of difference? Any big drops in hp / tq, through the rpm's?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No real difference. Pacesetters, for example, have no where near the same length, and make nearly identical power to the QTP's/Kooks which seem to be closer to equal length.

They all make about the same power, regardless.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Well technically this is a big area with no single answer.

Equal length tuned headers are pointless if they are all tuned to the wrong length.

Also every setup varies to what header will make the most power. Heads, runner, cam, valves, setup, tuning can all affect the outcome. So the same headers make work great on one setup and less so on another.

Personally unless you have lots of money or are in a race glass where you must extract every single HP I really wouldn't bother too much. Just buy a header with a good reputation:

Cheap ones (coated mild steel):
-Pacesetter
-Edlebrock

Expensive stainless steel:
-QTP
-Kooks

In reality they will all acheive very similar numbers on almost all setups. Not enough to worry about anyhow. Material is the only real difference, so just pic your price category and try and find the best deal there is.

If you wan a more technical writeup, read posts 6 and 13 in the exhaust/induction sticky. It's quite lengthy but very imformative.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacesetters tuck up really nice and I made 340rwhp with lid, Lt's, ORY and through a Flowmaster exhaust. Which by the way I will find out today exactly how much HP I am losing through it. Its dyno day.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

And due to the high cost of most things in life, I've thinking of making my own set. I was going to make them fit, and look like a decent set.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
No real difference. Pacesetters, for example, have no where near the same length, and make nearly identical power to the QTP's/Kooks which seem to be closer to equal length.

They all make about the same power, regardless.
Blur
There are differences in power. Different designs, different sizes, different collectors and different materials will make a power difference. Not just peak but a cross the board. We had a customer that had our old style collector and switch to our high velocity merge collectors gained 5 hp and 10-12tq. We spend many hours design our products and trying the make the most power possible. So please refrain from posting things like this when its is untrue.
Thank You
Old 09-27-2006, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beasst8
Pacesetters tuck up really nice and I made 340rwhp with lid, Lt's, ORY and through a Flowmaster exhaust. Which by the way I will find out today exactly how much HP I am losing through it. Its dyno day.
I made 347 with simmlar mods with pacesetters best bang for the buck