Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange resonance/rattle from Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange resonance/rattle from Headers

Hey guys,

I have noticed ever since I installed Mac Mid lengths that I get a strange resonance/rattle upon even light acceleration up to 30 mph. The rattle increases in loudness as the rpms rise. It seems it happens when I hit second gear, it gets louder as the rpms rise, and once it shifts to third gear and the rpms get lower it stops or isnt audible.

It sounds like something in the engine bay is rattling near the driver side header. Its a very shrill rattling and pretty loud outside the car. Is sounds to me like one of the heatshields on the spark plugs is rattling but I dont think that could be it. THe rattle happens quite a bit, but not all the time. Has anyone else experienced this type of rattle or found out what it was? I figure maybe there is something that rests to close to the header that needs to be tightened down or something like that.

(I made sure all of my bolts are tight on the headers and I have no leaks. The MAc mids connect to a Lane's True Dual's X pipe and I made sure the merge collectors are more than tight.)

Thanks,
Lane
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heatshields are always causing problems, best thing is to get under there and look for wear marks. Don't be scared to bend the **** out of things to get them out of the way.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

or you may have somethiing cracked like you x pipe, my jet hot y pipe ripped
Old 10-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

I just started to hear the rattle today. I could hear it reflecting off housing in a neighborhood. It sounds like it is coming from the driverside header area. I am gonna check the exhaust shields. Sounds pretty bad at 2000 rpms.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

THats the exact same sound I get, comes from the driver side header area at lower rpms. Its probably those dang heat shields. Ill bend em and see if that works.

Thanks!

Lane
Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey my car does this too!!! but only sitting at idle....rattles bad, but i cant find anywhere where anything is rubbing or hitting.....drives me nuts....FRONT DRIVER HEADER AREA....
Old 02-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

I know its been a while, but that problem was a pair of bad cats. I just did my own kinda fix on that one