Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body spring tension

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body spring tension

hey guys. i just finished my ls6 intake and polished and ported tb install. i broke the oil pressure sending unit. i bought a new one and installed it. othre than that, things went pretty smoothly. there is one thing that concerns me though. i know the tb porting and polishing is suppose to give you some response, but i feel the throttle too loose. i'm almost certain the problem is in the tension of the tb spring. how much is this thing suppose to be tightened? please help me. i ran a search and found nothing helpful. thank you. right now, i just put the spring in without any winding.

Last edited by musclebird69; 10-03-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

anyone? moderators? let me know. thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure you can really tighten the spring up without it being ungodly stiff. I was curious of the same thing a while back on an old '98 tb, the spring wasn't nearly as stiff as the one off my 2000, I guess it had lost some tension over time. So I decided to wind the spring around an extra turn and see what would happen. Well, the spring's diameter got really small, probably too small, and it was really hard to open the blade at all. Despite my findings I decided I wanted to see how it felt so I installed it on the car and took it for a test drive. Well, it was WAY to stiff to even be considered driveable. I would be pressing on the pedal thinking I was opening the blade but it wasn't actually doing anything, I really had to put my leg into to get it to open at all. I was actually worried I was going to break my throttle cable like that so I switched it back pretty quick. I'm not sure if you can buy the springs individually but if you want, paypal me like $5 for shipping and I'll send you one of the extra blue springs I've got sitting around. Shoot me a pm if you want it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

sweet! that's what i figured too. i tried to wind it up a turn and it was too tight. so i left it as is. i suppose that the fact that material was taken away from the tb makes the spring easier to unload. that's why the gas pedal feels so responsive. im gonna try this out for a few days. compare it to other f-body's and decide what i want to do. thanks for the offer and advice. if i choose to go with a new spring, i will pm you. thanks.

Quick Reply: throttle body spring tension