Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use MSD coil packs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well paint these days can cost alot
Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
there are several reasons they're put down so easily.

first off, even by their over-inflated advertising claims.. the power per dollar is VERY VERY VERY low... you dont get anything you can see, feel, or even consistently measure.... but it costs alot.

second, its a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.
on a conventional V8, you have one coil, firing 4 times every engine revolution.... LS1s have 8 full strength coils, that can fully charge and fire once every two revolutions... plus theres no gap in the distributor cap to jump.. plus the wires are only a couple inches long compared to feet... and the entire ignition system is basiclly a crank trigger system, because thats where the PCM is getting the engine's crank angle from.
this all adds up to an accurate ignition system with enough power for huge HP forced induction guys... they do have a couple PCM tweaks as they approch 1000hp.. but the issues are things like the dwell set in the PCM.. not the coilpack hardware.

third, why do race cars have two MSD boxes, with a switch?
because while they're great for what they do.. all MSD parts (along with 99% of other aftermarket parts) are not tested as well as OEM.. they just cant justify the cost in testing to the same extremes... so they may or may not be as reliable as OEM.. but we know the reliabilty of the OEM components.

so when people talk about the MSD coils, the question is... why?
hey i agree they are expensive, i was only trying to give my opinion on my past experience with them. nobody gave this guy a real answer. i also agree that stock coils are fine, and as far as race cars having two i think they are more prone to breakage and they have a spare just in case.and as far as oem you can thank nafta for poor quality.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Country Boy
People have put down 1k HP with stock coils...
As I recall, the guys at W2W made about 1600hp in their 6 second LSX camaro race car, all with stock coils.....'Nuff said!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jam01
hey i agree they are expensive, i was only trying to give my opinion on my past experience with them. nobody gave this guy a real answer. i also agree that stock coils are fine, and as far as race cars having two i think they are more prone to breakage and they have a spare just in case.and as far as oem you can thank nafta for poor quality.
i was just trying to give him the reason that noone really has a good answer for them.

if this was a 6AL box debate.. im all for it... and their wires for the LS1 kickass.. and if you were talking about their window switches or their two steps on a older car.. heck yea.
MSD is a good company, that makes good products.

im glad they're trying to jump in the LSx market, and they have cool stuff for us... but the coils just arnt all that great.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

i will take you up on that dude.granted they are a waste of money if your system works properly.mine didnt.i got them and they helped,no more missfire at high rpm.of course from what i have read on here,they could go at any minute,but knock on wood,so far so good.at last one semi-positive responce.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heh, i should have thought of this earlier but... if anyone is looking to buy a set, this guy on one of the thirdgen fbody boards i goto, has a set...

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...hlight=ls1tech

brand new...$480

Quick Reply: Anyone use MSD coil packs??