Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long tube headers = problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006 | 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default long tube headers = problems

Well i just installed the Edelbrock Victor Series race headers, going into their ORY and then into stock catback (i plan on putting a cutout in it).

Now the car drives like absolute crap. It's slower... like a alot slower, just feels liek i'm towing something when i floor it. And when i'm driving the car feels like its missing or something, like i'll be at a constant speed, but it like giong :cruise cruise cruise nothgin cruise cruise nothing... no noises or ne thing but i can feel it int he gas pedal. It makes some kind of not-so-loud popping noiise... not a back fire, i had plenty of those when the one 02 sensor had a burn throught he wires when i was driving open headers. that sucked. I"m not sure whats going on. I did swap in a ls6 intake too, so all the EGR, AIR and CAts are all gone...

NE 1 have this problem, or know what it might be... the only thought in my mind is a 02 sensor not workign right. I know they can't be completely shot, cuz when the one was the car ran alot worse...

of course there's a SES for all the missing stuff, i dont even have the rear 02's hooked up to ne thing

HELP HELP after swapping to long tubes and a ls6 intake i dont wanna have a SLOWER CAR!
Old 10-24-2006 | 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check your plugs first. i managed to get a tiny hairline crack in mine when I installed headers and the car ran like complete ****. The crack was barely noticable. You should also get the PCm scanned for free at autozone or something to see what codes are in there inaddtion to the EGR AIR and all that.
I would also be looking around for a unplugged sensor or intake leaks around the manifold.

You surely messed something up on the install because those mods should make you run stronger instantly.
Old 10-25-2006 | 08:56 AM
Launching!

yep check your plugs, if you left those in when you put in the headers you may have hit them and possibly cracked some of them, or you could have just not put a wire on completely...2 clicks, also did you tune after you installed everything?
Old 10-25-2006 | 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
i dont even have the rear 02's hooked up to ne thing
That may be your problem, i know my car ran like **** when my o2's went bad. you need to get a some o2 simulators or better yet, just take it to a tuner and have them tune everything out. Might as well end it all at once because youll eventually have more problems later. it shouldnt be more than 150 bucks.
Old 10-25-2006 | 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
That may be your problem, i know my car ran like **** when my o2's went bad. you need to get a some o2 simulators or better yet, just take it to a tuner and have them tune everything out. Might as well end it all at once because youll eventually have more problems later. it shouldnt be more than 150 bucks.
Wrong, it wont run any different with the rear o2's out.
Old 10-25-2006 | 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brad8266

Hes right its the front ones that make the car run like ****, i dont have 02s in my rear but when my passanger front burnt out, my car would barley idle and spuddered like ****, my engine was dumping soo much gas
Old 10-25-2006 | 04:40 PM
Launching!

becarefull not to dent the o2 i found this out just a small littil dent on the front right 02 couse it to not work anymore and there for is was reading wrong and dumping fuel and running super rich.

Adding headers couse's these cars to run alittil rich anyway check your 02 's mabe u have a bad one.Take a o2 pute in a vise and a nice littil propain heater heat up the with a ohm meter hooked up and see if it goes up to 900 qickly go back and forth on the sensor to detect how responsive it is if u get nothing time to repace it.

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2006 | 04:47 PM
Launching!

It's slower... like a alot slower, just feels liek i'm towing something when i floor it.
haha I know this must suck, but I burst out laughin when I read that. Just had a funny mental picture with it I guess.

i'd say check for leaks anywhere, and maybe get a tune done? your best bet would be there I imagine. good luck.
Old 10-25-2006 | 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

update... i took it to Autozone to get the codes read.. i figured there'd be like.. o say... 5 or 6 codes in there due to !EGR and !AIR and !CATS and !REAR 02's... no there was 16 codes, yes 16, in there. All four 02's were throwing codes, and there was a misfire in cyl #4. the rest were egr air and other **** like that... I'm going to change the plugs, wires, and get the bosch corvette 02's (13111). I found them for $55 a piece...

hopefully this will end my problems ... and for the record, no tune yet. I'm sellig my SLP Loudmouth, money from that will go for a tune once i got my e-cutout + underdrive pulley + stall all in

thanks for all the help, LS1tech; what would i do without you (prolly give up and drive a honda)
Old 10-25-2006 | 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

update... i took it to Autozone to get the codes read.. i figured there'd be like.. o say... 5 or 6 codes in there due to !EGR and !AIR and !CATS and !REAR 02's... no there was 16 codes, yes 16, in there. All four 02's were throwing codes, and there was a misfire in cyl #4. the rest were egr air and other **** like that... I'm going to change the plugs, wires, and get the bosch corvette 02's (13111). I found them for $55 a piece...

hopefully this will end my problems ... and for the record, no tune yet. I'm sellig my SLP Loudmouth, money from that will go for a tune once i got my e-cutout + underdrive pulley + stall all in

thanks for all the help, LS1tech; what would i do without you (prolly give up and drive a honda)
Also, don't forget about going back over the intake install. Make sure all of those plugs are in correctly. Same with injectors if you had to mess with those.
Old 10-25-2006 | 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keenov
Also, don't forget about going back over the intake install. Make sure all of those plugs are in correctly. Same with injectors if you had to mess with those.
u mean the plugs in the back of the block for the coolant? i got the upgraded coolant line for the front but didn't have any of the plugs for the two spots in the back... i took the ends of the ls1 line, and put some weld in there to block those off, and screwed those back in... hope there not leaking! i had the ls6 manifold on b4 i did the headers, and i wasn't having any problems with my car at that point. O there was one more code that was in there that kinda bothered me, it was for IAT sensor... gr...

Last edited by 98_Formula; 10-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2006 | 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
touche, learn something new everyday
Old 10-26-2006 | 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE...

When i was leaving work today, i checked the plug wires, and found that the drivers side plug closest to the the front bumper wasn't on all the way!!! i clicked that in for a small improvement, but it was obvious there was still problems.

changed the spark plugs (TR-55's), wires (Taylor pro's), and changed out the front 02's (part # 13111... bosch corvette rear's).

Found a cracked spark plug in cylinder number 4, where we had the Misfire. it actually had two cracks in it. the plugs appeared to be the stock ones put in by GM 91k miles ago...

THe wires were junk too... so the thundervolts were needed.

The 02's were dirty as hell, but thats prolly expected ....

SO ne ways, the test drive... it drove much better, smoother faster, etc.

But I still do not feel this car is performing to its full potential, given the mods. It pulls and all, but for example, my buddy just got a new blazer SS with the ls2, so we did a run from 25ish, and i only pulled a 1/2 - 1 car... and then he held it... and thats a 5400lb 4wd car... granted he has 50 hp on a STOCK ls1, but i woudl think my mods made up for that and i should have pulled alot harder on him...

sigh... next step... is to weld up some small exhaust leaks, some pinholes in the y pipe, and a small leak around where the stock exhaust goes onto the y... that and i need to replace my coolant sensor. hopefully that will yield some better results once more.

when driving, i feel this like thumping in the gas pedal... it doesnt make much of an audible noise but i can definitly feel it and feels out of place... ne suggestions with that? also there appears to be slight but fast paced ticking noise from the passenger side fo the car, its louder right behind the collector, standing near the rear of the passenger side door... its not so loud under the hood, so i'm thinking maybe its another potential leak? any other suggestions are appreciated... ne1 local with a scanning device would be great too!! i know thats a long shot tho

Last edited by 98_Formula; 10-27-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2006 | 11:28 AM
On The Tree

JBM you have these headers too, why dont you step in and give a word.
Old 10-27-2006 | 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by WhiplashDVD
JBM you have these headers too, why dont you step in and give a word.
I also have them and love them..coated nicely....fit well....run well....good clearance.....don't know what to suggest really..maybe take it to a shop and see if they or anyone else can figure out what is wrong...probably something small considering it runs and drives.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

But I still do not feel this car is performing to its full potential, given the mods. . hopefully that will yield some better results once more.
Of course the car is not running to its full potential, you have not tuned it yet!! The computer is still trying to find out what the hell is going on. The good news is the computer can learn. Give it a couple weeks for the computer to recallibrate itself and everything will be good to go. Although you will never release its full potential until you get a tune.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

When you weld for god sakes disconnect the battery or you will be back on the thread with a whole new set of problems
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
When you weld for god sakes disconnect the battery or you will be back on the thread with a whole new set of problems
GOOD ADVICE......ALTHOUGH..if you have a substantial ground, it will be fine.
Old 10-28-2006 | 03:25 AM
On The Tree

Do you still have a SES light????? Did you ever get the AIR and EGR and REAR 02s deleted ???? thats why it feels slow. This is bout the worst thread I have read. I got headers and put them in and left everthing disconnected and wondering why my car runs like crap. You needed to read the header install section REALLY important info. Your lucky the car hasnt blown up. Sorry just puttin my oppionin in.
Old 10-31-2006 | 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

the air, egr, and rear 02 codes do nothing to effect the way the car drives. <period

Quick Reply: long tube headers = problems