Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAC question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC question...

If you remove the IAC to clean it up, how much movement should you see in the pintle (?) the black plunger looking thing?
Mine hardly moves at all. All I get is a little clicking motion, like if I was pushing a radio button.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pewterpower
If you remove the IAC to clean it up, how much movement should you see in the pintle (?) the black plunger looking thing?
Mine hardly moves at all. All I get is a little clicking motion, like if I was pushing a radio button.
They are a little wiggly, there shouldn't be any in or out movement of the pintle, but it is by no means super secure.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

I've cleaned it several times, but sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's not. My idle seems to have a mind of it's own........
I'm gonna pick one up at ADVANCE and try it. They're $125 but the guy said if it's still clean, I can return it, just in case that's not the problem.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
On the tree

Try not to push on the pintle at all. The only thing you should do is measure the pintle distance to make sure it is not extended too far when you put it into the TB.

I would pull the TB, clean both sisde of it and make sure the IAC port is clean and that the IAC pintle is clean. Reinstall everything and plug the IAC back in, turn the ign on and then unplug it. Turn ign off then back on with the IAC unhooked then back off. Re connect the IAC turn ign on and start car. This will allow the ECM to relearn the IAC open and closed points.

You could though have a bad IAC and the pintle is not able to move back and forth properly as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

the aic is a valve that lets air from the front opening of the throttle body into the manifold for idling while the throttle blade is closed right?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Well, the new IAC valve didn't seem to fix my problem.
I'll try cleaning the TB and doing what sneaky said.
BTW, this whole thing started after I Seafoamed the TB a couple months ago, so maybe there's a gob of goop in there somewhere.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone? ^^^^
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

I turned out to be throttle cable hanging up ever so slightly at the very end of it's travel.
This was such a frustrating problem cuz it wasn't happening all the time.
I would think it was fixed, and then it wasn't.
I thought the IAC fixed it, but obviously not.
So I take back what I said about the Seafoam, it obviously had nothing to do with it.
I changed my plugs right after the treatment, and pulling and moving cables around must have been the culprit.