Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can question...

I have search once with no luck. tried some different terms, and it kept timing out.

Here is my situation. I have a breather now, but i have to clean it right at 1000 miles, or it will puke all over my engine bay when i go WOT.

here is my idea...

What if i run the PCV lines to a catch can only, and i just put a breather on the catch can? will it still vent the crank case without connecting it to the throttlebody? Also will the can collect oil like a normal catch can set-up? I am thinking that if this would work, it would make it so i dont have to clean that damn brether so much.

I am just looking for another way to vent the crankcase. I am tired of oil in the intake, and im tired of cleaning the breather, and under the hood all the time. (i drive 700 miles a week).

Also if anyone has similar set-ups would you please post some pictures...

I am just looking for a band-aid untill the motor needs to be rebuilt...it runs strong, has decent compression, it just smokes, and uses 1qt every 1000 miles.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.dougherbert.com/1pintmini...461b489c3f4a23

What if i ran something like that with it just hooked to the valve covers...NO PCV, no TB. Would that work alright?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not to steal your thread but.

I just recently installed an LS6 intake on my 98 with about 160,000 miles. There was almost NO oil in the intake like most people talk about. Is there a possibility that everyone with oil issues in that area may just have a bad PCV valve? Or does everyone run there car WOT WAY WAY more often then I do?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt? .
Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

?????
I'd like to know too.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone, i guess i may just give it a shot.

Someone was also telling me, i could hard wire the factory A.I.R. pump and reverse it to pull air from the crankcase. That pump is supposedly capable of 3 inches of vacuum maybe?

I was thinking i could hook both valve covers to the vented catch can, and hook the otherside to the air pump...Does anyone think that would work, or would it even be a waste to try it.
Do you think the pump would pull air from the crankscase?

I would just like a little input on the idea before i put forth the effort. I dont want to waste time on something will be a failure for sure.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/589855-nlp-billet-pcv-catch-can-74-95-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/607451-pcv-question-search-isnt-working.html

You shouldnt need an air pump setup unless you have really big hp numbers .