Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!

I plan on removing my cats and replacing them with strainght pipes to make my LM louder without the rasp. How wide piping do I need and how long? Will this throw off my car with the lack of O2 and all? I haven't gotten under the car since I have no means of jacking it up here. Let me know what ou think while you're at it. Thanks

Last edited by StillUnnamed; 11-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StillUnnamed
I plan on removing my cats and replacing them with strainght pipes to make my LM louder without the rasp. How wide piping do I need and how long? Will this throw off my car with the lack of O2 and all? I haven't gotten under the car since I have no means of jacking it up here. Let me know what ou think while you're at it. Thanks.
you'll get more rasp and more drone. you'll also through a cat inefficancy code that you'll either need tuned out or get o2 sims.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

How bad would it sound if I replace the cats and the resonator both with straight pipes?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

It will sound like a 80's farm truck.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

this thread doesn't seem to be heading in a useful direction...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nycab
this thread doesn't seem to be heading in a useful direction...
Then why don't you try to make it go in a better direction and help me out please?

Change of plans:
I plan on installing dual electric cutouts as close to the headers as possible(Before cats if possible). I want my LM louder without the rasp. I haven't gotten under the car since I have no means of jacking it up here. Is there really enough room? how close of a call will it be? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by StillUnnamed; 11-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last edited by BrandonDrecksage; 11-14-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
no mufflers=rasp and drone, is that a hard concept to get? if you want loud, without rasp and drone, throw ona traditional muffler, hooker, slp dual/dual...ect and get some headers.
dude, chill. I don't know these things...that's why i ask. i've only posted on here a handful of times and all of em were questions. the exhaust i have is the one i'm staying with...i'm just trying to make the most out of it. every muffler i've heard is too quiet for what i want. i want as loud as possible. LOUD. since you are no help is there anyone else with something constructive to say that can help me out? grassy ***.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't come here and strike up an attitude with people. Brandon is trying to tell you what will happen.
Search for yourself and see. You will find what you are looking for, or in your case what you are not looking for.

It is probably a 2.5"-3" section of pipe that you are going to need. You take the cats out it will have more rasp. Especially with that Loud mouth resonator. You are going to kill your lowend power by doing the dual cutouts. Put one cut out in the I pipe right past the resonator and you will be louder.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Don't come here and strike up an attitude with people. Brandon is trying to tell you what will happen.
Search for yourself and see. You will find what you are looking for, or in your case what you are not looking for.

It is probably a 2.5"-3" section of pipe that you are going to need. You take the cats out it will have more rasp. Especially with that Loud mouth resonator. You are going to kill your lowend power by doing the dual cutouts. Put one cut out in the I pipe right past the resonator and you will be louder.
This is why i hate the attitude, you can't get any emotion out of what you write. i wasnt being lippy despite how it might have come across. I'm sorry. Orangeapeel, you are my favoite guy to ask for advice since, so far, you are the only one to ever answer my questions without telling me how dumb I am for just getting into cars. Thank you for the ideas, i'm going to look into it some more.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

StillUnnamed, the "attitude" is proabably coming from the impression that you probably haven't searched a lot on the topic. Questions are always welcome in any forum, but people don't like answering the same questions over and over again. Now I don't know the exact answers to your questions, as my car is currently in many pieces, but I bet if you search around, you'll find our more and more info until you can pose better questions. This is just my 2 cents...
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on removing my cats and replacing them with strainght pipes to make my LM louder without the rasp. How wide piping do I need and how long? Will this throw off my car with the lack of O2 and all? I haven't gotten under the car since I have no means of jacking it up here. Let me know what ou think while you're at it. Thanks.
you'll get more rasp and more drone. you'll also throw a cat inefficancy code that you'll either need tuned out or get o2 sims.

Then why don't you try to make it go in a better direction and help me out please?

Change of plans:
I plan on installing dual electric cutouts as close to the headers as possible(Before cats if possible). I want my LM louder without the rasp. I haven't gotten under the car since I have no means of jacking it up here. Is there really enough room? how close of a call will it be? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
no mufflers=rasp and drone, is that a hard concept to get? if you want loud, without rasp and drone, throw ona traditional muffler, hooker, slp dual/dual...ect and get some headers.

This is why i hate the attitude, you can't get any emotion out of what you write. i wasnt being lippy despite how it might have come across. I'm sorry. Orangeapeel, you are my favoite guy to ask for advice since, so far, you are the only one to ever answer my questions without telling me how dumb I am for just getting into cars. Thank you for the ideas, i'm going to look into it some more.
where did i call you stupid? All of your question could have been answered with a little research, you were looking to do something and get the exact opposite results that you were looking for, which showed that you did absolutely no research on this(removing cats and having less rasp? who told you that?). If you want a loud exhaust without rasp and drone, YOUR ONLY WAY IS TO GET SOEM HEADERS ON A TRADITIONAL EXHAUST SYSTEM. That or you can modify your stock system liek I did, by adding a muffler after the axle. I put ina flowmaster 1 chamber. Now the car is quiet with absolutly no rasp or drone and i'm sure it will sound amazing once I step up to some headers.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Loudmouth: LM is a love/hate exhaust, it sounds great on stock manifolds with few bolts on's. When you start adding LT's and ORY's it shows its ugly side. LM + ORY + LT = rasp and drone. Try and listen to various LM setups in person to know what your getting into. Time after time people get LM and end up swapping it out since they get tired of its annoyances. To reduce the rasp and drone you have a few options; install some cats, replace the resonator with a real muffler, or install a 12-18" dynomax bullet. This setup is referred to Dynomouth; Borlamouth is of the same concept but with Borla xr-1 mufflers."

right from the sticky on this page

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

also, i have heard that it is very hard to fit dual cutout's on a catted y-pipe simply because of space issues and not great spots to put them....

Don't know that that is true for all catted ypipes

But i am buying a QTP one and that is what my muffler shop told me....

if that helps at all
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

*the word "attitude" should have been INTERNET*

Thanks, now i know. i had read the stickies as well as other posts on this topic. nowhere did I find any answers that were SPECIFIC ENOUGH. THAT'S WHY I ASKED. obviously my best option is to do nothing, i don't have enough money just lying around to replace the exhaust i've had for a month with a new one that wont sound any better. let alone, spend money on headers when I don't plan on racing with the car. Thanks for being understanding.

Last edited by StillUnnamed; 11-15-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously is your LM not loud enough? I reckkon you can here my car at WOT at over a mile away

If you have the LM2 then yeah it might be quieter and swapping to a LM 1 resonator will certainly make it louder.

If you just want it louder in the car, then try dumping the exhaust under the car, it should vibrate and resonate in the cabin a lot more, although outisde it won't be any louder.

Removing the CATS is generally considered a bad idea with a LM, they help to control the sound and tone. By removing them it will probably make the LM sound worse, albeit louder.

Adding long tube headers and a catted Y should make it louder and change the tone. The addition of a decent cam will again alter the sound and certainly for the better.

If you go to an ORY (off road Y pipe) again you'll probably be looking at less tonal quality.

If you really want to remove the CATS most people will then opt for swapping the resonator out to a bullet muffler. Personally I'd probably go for a small Maganflow bullet muffler. 1. because it actually sounds pretty decent and 2. it's a lot cheaper than buying a Borla XR-1 muffler. Check Ebay for Magnaflow muffler prices.

Lastly think about swapping the entire catback. Texas Speed & Performance sell a system called the Rumbler X, it's a dual exhaust system with an X pipe and dumps before the rear axle. It should be suitably loud in the car, even more so if you combine it with LT's.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

*the word "attitude" should have been INTERNET*

Thanks, now i know. i had read the stickies as well as other posts on this topic. nowhere did I find any answers that were SPECIFIC ENOUGH. THAT'S WHY I ASKED. obviously my best option is to do nothing, i don't have enough money just lying around to replace the exhaust i've had for a month with a new one that wont sound any better. let alone, spend money on headers when I don't plan on racing with the car. Thanks for being understanding.
you didn't research becasue your question was specifically anwsered in the sticky. Now you knwo, research cause you would have realized that the loudmouth is like that. You would have also found researching that there is a tsp rumbler cat back that is exactly liek the loud mouth except 100-150 cheaper. Also, how much money do you think it would have cost for you to get the cats taken off if you can't afford headers? you think a shop is going to do it for free? If you don't have money to do headers, what makes you think that you have money to pay the fine for not having cats as well?

ps pacesetter headers uncoated are 280, coated 370. Both prices are cheaper than the lm that you bought.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I reckkon you can here my car at WOT at over a mile away.
I want to hear you say this with a redneck southern accent!!!! haha.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I want to hear you say this with a redneck southern accent!!!! haha.
lol

I love the Southern accent (women especially )
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
lol

I love the Southern accent (women especially )
There is no kidding to that!