Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom y-pipe...what type of flanges to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used 3-bolt flanges on mine. I would use V-bands, then 3-bolts, slip on, then ball flanges. Ball flanges are pieces of ****.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot. I will be going to the exhaust shop in a little while to have them look at my car and tell them what i want. I will have a look at their flanges and see if i like them.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't mean to hijack, but I have some related questions that fit right in. Above are pics of my QTP's and custom y-pipe that are on the way. You'll notice the flanges. What type of gasket would you use? Can you use RTV sealant w/ a gasket? Any other advice on getting a tight fit?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are those...3-bolt flanges??? If so, go to autozone or a similar place, and get the dead soft aluminum ones. I forget the name of the company...seal-4-good or something along those lines. You get two gaskets and 6 new bolts in the package. Alittle pricey...but they seem to work great and dont blow out. Plus you can reuse them if you ever have to split the exhaust.

I think Im going to try the v-band clamps. They seem to be at the top of everyones list. With the space confinement I have, Im actually alittle worried that the v-band flanges might have trouble clearing as well. Atleast on the fuel/brake line side. Might have to tweak that stuff a bit. Anyway...someone mentioned that they welded their new flanges on the INSIDE of the headers, so removal wasnt needed. And Im thinking thats a good idea. I might look into that. Im having trouble finding v-band flanges that have a little pipe attached to them though. Most of them are just short little flanges. However that might be how they come.

Justin

Quick Reply: Custom y-pipe...what type of flanges to use?