Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Help

I'm trying to install long tube headers and motor mounts and after a 12 hour day, we're having trouble putting in the headers. We have the car jacked up HIGH...43 inches from the ground to the header ports, which makes me kind of nervous. How do you get the headers in? It seems almost impossible .
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

I know it seems hard, but you jsut gotta play with it, what kinda headers you got?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're having problems with the drivers side, undo the motor mount bolt and jack the motor up ever so slightly and it will slide right in. Passenger side should slide right in no matter what brand with no unbolting of anything.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

i have ebay xs stainless headers, same design as hooker super comps.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know about the high in the air thing. My exaust tips where ON THE GROUND. I had to wrap them in foam rubber to keep from messing them up. You'll get it. My demon was getting the Y into the I. That was a PITA. Keep at it. Its all worth it.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I had to take my oil filter off to get my driver's side in. Also heard soemone say that they had to file a little off the square block casting to get their Flow Tech's in.

PASS side is a BEOTCH! Disconnect trans cross member and shove the h3ll out of it!!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bitterchaos
I'm trying to install long tube headers and motor mounts and after a 12 hour day, we're having trouble putting in the headers. We have the car jacked up HIGH...43 inches from the ground to the header ports, which makes me kind of nervous. How do you get the headers in? It seems almost impossible .
take the 5 minutes extra to take the steering shaft out...Motor mounts are MUCH harder to mess with then a steering shaft.

I also use 6 ton jackstands and a 4x4 on top of my 3 ton jack. Extend it all the way up and set the stands up at max...You will get plenty of room to set them in.

Sometimes you have to take the oil filter off...Sometimes you have to remove the oil divertor plate above it. they are such small items to remove before Id get out the sawzall to cut off that ear some folks talk about.

Haveing all the plugs help give you more room too. I have yet to have a problem with any header made for an LS1 that I couldnt install in 2 hours.