Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C/I swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C/I swap

Ok... so im tryin to get a full list of parts for the whole swap. So far i have Patriot performance gold springs 660 dual spring lift with titanium retainers, locks, seals, etc... Comp cams hardened pushrods (stock length), custom grind cam, ls2 timing chain, ported ls6 oil pump, AFR 225cc heads, FAST 90mm manifold/NW 90mm TB.

Anyone think of anything else to add to my list?
Old 12-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

gaskets?(head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets) fluids of course. fishing wire for that pickup tube bolt, trust me, you need to tie some to that bolt, we dropped it about 20 times before getting it in to thread.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Ah yes, gaskets, ok... ya about gaskets, I have a friend who has a subaru forester (not sure of the year, 2000 i think) and he needed to get the head gaskets replaced and the dealer wanted to charge him like over 2k... why the hell does it cost 2k?? It doesnt seem that hard with ls1's???
Old 12-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Ah yes, gaskets, ok... ya about gaskets, I have a friend who has a subaru forester (not sure of the year, 2000 i think) and he needed to get the head gaskets replaced and the dealer wanted to charge him like over 2k... why the hell does it cost 2k?? It doesnt seem that hard with ls1's???
Well my guess is about 18 hours plus the shop rate $65-85 per hour also gaskets fluids and what ever else is needed. If its an overhead cam engine that is alot more work involved. This is how mechanics get paid sorry.
That could be over estimated but I doubt it.
I used to be a mechanic for both Chevy and ford.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

dam... that sucks real badly... he had to sell it and get a new car just cause of a head gasket.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Anybody with time and mechanical knowledge could do it, problem with v-dubs, subarus, and bmw's is there is a lot of things that require specialty tools. But yea, there is a lot to remove to pull the heads and cleanup and replace the headgaskets on any engine. The ls1 is semi easy. My integra was a pain in the *** because you have to remove the timing cover/belt to get the cams out of the head before you could remove the head... plus the intake manifold was a bitch as well. It gets messy.