Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Duals

I wanna change my setup again from the dual cutout ory and magnaflow I have to true dual's with flowmaster single chambers. I have pretty much made up my mind about the flowmasters, but I need to know where to find an x-pipe kit or h-pipe kit that has everything I need to install it. Also, which is better for power/sound, x-pipe or h-pipe?? I want a deep, throaty, mean sound to the exhaust, but don't know which I should get and where to get it from. I also wanna see who has the best deal on all this stuff. I am hopefully gonna be selling all of my stuff to help balance out the cost of all this. If anyone is interested in my old setup lmk.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

flow masters flow like crap but if your set on them then it wold have to be custom. TSP has a good TD deal with your choice of muffler. the sweet thunder sounds like a classic muscle car.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

x-pipe makes more power, H- pipe sounds better. But ive heard the power difference is minimal.

heres some and x pipe http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust. You might want to check out summit or and exhaust shop could fab up one up.

and theirs some good info in the stickies
Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard only the 80-series crossflow muffler from flowmaster flows like crap and the 10 series single chambers are awesome. Should I just buy the generic x-pipe kit from summit racing?? Also, since my car is lowered, should I go with a 2.5" x-pipe and tubing??
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00formLs1
flow masters flow like crap
False information. Only the 80 series flow horrible, but even then, they aren't that bad.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
I heard only the 80-series crossflow muffler from flowmaster flows like crap and the 10 series single chambers are awesome. Should I just buy the generic x-pipe kit from summit racing?? Also, since my car is lowered, should I go with a 2.5" x-pipe and tubing??
Yes, get either an x-pipe kit or an h-pipe kit from Summit. Get which ever you prefer. X-pipe is high pitched in sound and makes more power, but H-pipe is more low based and deep, but power difference really is not that big of a difference. I got the h-pipe kit from Summit (#15933), and I'm waiting for a nice day here in Ohio to install it. I got Magnaflow cats as well (the highest flowing on the market, #59929) and Flowmaster 1 chambers too (#9430109). I'm gonna dump mine. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you worried about having it too loud or something? I think that spiral flows are a good mix of noise/decibel leves between the TD's and the ORY setups. I am a spiral person myself.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Universal kits are nice, but I would still run it out the back, because it's going to drone and vibrate if you just dump it. Running out the back sounds much more refined, and wouldn't get on your nerves quickly.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been running open headers for almost 2 months now, so vibration and noise isnt an issue. I wanna dump the exhaust for 2 reasons, 1) Cost, less money to dump it vs. taking it out the back, 2) I like the look of camaros without tips. I think the h-pipe may be for me, as much as I have always heard people going with an x-pipe for duals. I want that bass, old school muscle car sound and it sounds like an h-pipe with single chambers is the way to go. Now as for size, will 2.5" suffice for me?? Also, could I install this on my own with hand tools??
Old 01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have pics and sound clips of my x set up and h with 1 chambers. Yes i have LTs as well

and 1 chamber do not flow like crap. You are thinking of 80 series those are crappy..

X= high pitched nascar sound.. Pulls up top.

H= low, deep, bassy tone. Lots of low end tq
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

If i was gonna do trual duals i would probley go with an h-pipe too. I wish someone had a dynograph of a x-pipe vs h-pipe.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
If i was gonna do trual duals i would probley go with an h-pipe too. I wish someone had a dynograph of a x-pipe vs h-pipe.
There was a comparison floating around a year ago or so on a 5.0 Mustang. The H-pipe actually made more power in that particular test.....under the curve and peak. I went with the H for the sound. A buddy runs the same setup as me with an X and the difference in sound is not that noticeable. It's there, but the average person would think it was the same exact exhaust.