Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8/5.3 parts question

Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8/5.3 parts question

I didnt get any responce from the truck forum so i am going to try here.

I had a 4.8 truck that just went through a fire and I have taken the top end off and it appears that the short block is ok, minus some plastic pieces and the front seal. The heads are ok but are full of junk and I dont think i would trust the springs either. I was thinking of maybe rebuilding it. What would be a good way of getting the most horsepower out of it cheaply since it is such a small burnt engine. The engine was an 06 with 3500 miles on it. I was thinking about maybe ls6 heads and intake and a cam to match, or are there any other production parts that would be better. Would those be to big?

Also I have a 2002 rcsb 4x4 with 98k miles and the y pipe off the 06 is different. The catalatic convertors on the 06 is closer. Are these better than the one's on my 02 or should i keep the one's i have on now.

Any comments would be great
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bobd54321
I didnt get any responce from the truck forum so i am going to try here.

I had a 4.8 truck that just went through a fire and I have taken the top end off and it appears that the short block is ok, minus some plastic pieces and the front seal. The heads are ok but are full of junk and I dont think i would trust the springs either. I was thinking of maybe rebuilding it. What would be a good way of getting the most horsepower out of it cheaply since it is such a small burnt engine. The engine was an 06 with 3500 miles on it. I was thinking about maybe ls6 heads and intake and a cam to match, or are there any other production parts that would be better. Would those be to big?

Also I have a 2002 rcsb 4x4 with 98k miles and the y pipe off the 06 is different. The catalatic convertors on the 06 is closer. Are these better than the one's on my 02 or should i keep the one's i have on now.

Any comments would be great
The 4.8 and 5.3 share the same bore but the 4.8 has a shorter stroke & I think longer rods. As far as the Heads, they will fit!!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving the cats closer to the engine improves light-off, or how quickly they start working. LS6 heads are designed to flow a lot more air in a larger engine. I'd say do a cam first, along with valvesprings and pushrods. Stay small for that engine, like a 216/220 on 112 LSA.

Also, you mught have better luck in the internal section if you don't get many responses here.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Well i was more conserned at the moment with the cat's. Would these be better than my current ones that has 98k miles or is the new design more restrictive, or should i just recycle the cats and weld a straight pipe in place.

Search this Thread