Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked front air dam

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cracked front air dam

I think thats what its called(the plastic piece that scrapes sometimes). I was driving down the interstate at night when the car in front of me suddenly swerved to the left. I was going about 75 and didn't really have time to react in a safe way. So I held it straight and ran over a freakin tire. Now my air dam is cracked. will that effect anything?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anything else get screwed up? Cuz i know dam well if i ran over a tire it would have probably taken my exhaust amongst other things... But as far as what it will affect, that air dam is there to direct cold outside air up into your radiator and condensor for cooling and thats pretty much the only purpose for it, since the front bumper on the Fbodys and Ybodys are solid and do not allow air to pass throught them to get to the radiator. BTW how bad is it cracked? If you could post pictures of the damage we could all see if it might need to be replaced. But then again it may just be superficial and not need to be
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Launching!

The air damn also directs air into your intake. It will loose some of it's ability to redirect air, but the size and severity of the crack will dictate that loss.

I say JB weld it back together and you will be fine.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Yea ive even heard some people say if you take it off your car will overheat b/c it also deflects air into the radiator
Old 01-12-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Yea ive even heard some people say if you take it off your car will overheat b/c it also deflects air into the radiator
I dont think it will necessarily make your car overheat, granted that is a very strong possibility but if that were to happen your fans would run constantly and never eve shut off. And it might feed air to the airbox? Before i put a cold air on mne i looked at it and couldnt figure out where that air would be directed through your upper radiator support which conincedently is where your lower airbox bolts too. It may but i didnt see anywhere it would have sent air up there. Im always up to be educated
Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the air dam redirects air up towards the bottom of your intake if you have the !FRA and a CAI kit but otherwise no. It also pushes the air up to the rest of the air daming to hep cool your radiator. if tis completely busted you can either get another one at a junkyard for pretty cheap or just *try* to fix yours
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah so thats how it works. Nice nice sounds good