Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Problem?- 1998 Z28

Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Problem?- 1998 Z28

I have a 1998 camaro z28 with an auto tranny. Since buying the car a year ago i've never had a mechanical problem. This past weekend as i was on vacation (150 miles from home) my car decided to not start. The first time it happened I tried to crank the engine and the first 2 tries there was nothing. On the 3rd try, it started. i noticed the volts on the gauges were low, but as i drove it, went back up to normal. After my next stop, i got in the car and it started right up. So after this, i assumed it was the battery, and that it had recharged itself from driving. However, after my next stop, I got in the car and it wouldnt start. I tried cranking it over and nothing. I had jumper cables and tried to jump it, but no luck. To this moment, the car still has not started. I ended up having to get it towed home (150 miles)...$400 dollars later .

So my question is, does this sound like the starter? could it be something else??

I appreciate it!! Thanks guys!!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it's not starting is it cranking over, or just acting dead? Security light on? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not cranking over at all, just dead. The security light does come on, and i do hear the fuel pump. The headlights arent dim or anything. A friend suggested it may be the chip in the key, but i have a second key and it still won't start.

Thanks 2001NBMZ28 and everyone else!!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the battery is good might very well be a VATS/Passkey issue if it's not turning over. This is for earlier cars but the principle is the same - http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html If it fails with the igniton on car should still start and light stay on, don't know about when it fails when starting (like someone trying to steal the car). Don't know if this is your answer, but something to consider. Hope this helps...

Search this Thread