Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV catch can...WHAT THE HELL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV catch can...WHAT THE HELL!!!

I bought the PCV catch can and hooked it up the best way that made sense to me and now I'm confused. I drove the car for about 50 miles and noticed my oil pressure dropped to the 1/4 mark, and my accessory drive belt has started skweeking for the first time ever. My oil level is still full, and the can only has a few drops in it. The drawing below is to give an idea of how I have it hooked up. Did I do something wrong? Have I broken something? The only other things done to my car are NGK plugs, MSD wires, K&N filter, and a SLP smooth bellow. I don't do the "homemade" mods, I buy my parts; I like to help small business. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. What have I done wrong? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
catch can.bmp (98.2 KB, 363 views)
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the looks of that diagram, your PCV system looks pretty screwed up.

The blue hose should have the catch can in it, right before the manifold. There should be nothing but a hose connecting your throttle body, to that fitting on the front of the passenger side valve cover (red hose). The fitting on the manifold, right behind the throttle body, but on the driver side, is for the EVAP system, unrelated to PCV.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I hoped someone would explain the differences between all those hoses to me. But one question...the vent tube on the T.B. doesn't suck oil into it? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 01T/A88IROC-Z
Thanks, I hoped someone would explain the differences between all those hoses to me. But one question...the vent tube on the T.B. doesn't suck oil into it? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the dumb questions.
The valve cover to throttle body hose is called "the fresh air tube". Air actually flows INTO the valvecover though that hose.

If you think about it, you'll realize that the MAF, lid, and everything in front of the throttle body blade (including where the fresh air tube pulls from) is always at atmospheric pressure. The area behind the throttle body blade (where the PCV plugs in) is always LOWER, due to manifold vacuum. This pressure difference causes air to flow into the crank, purge the gasses, and then be sucked into the manifold downstream of the TB.

This is what makes it a positive crankcase vent, instead of just a crankcase vent.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Launching!

whats the EVAP system do?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 AM
That's what she said...

EVAP allows vapors in the gas tank to vent without going to atmosphere. They are instead vented into the intake manifold to be burned while driving. I'm not sure how the EVAP solenoid functions while the car is just sitting, but it probably operates on a relief valve.

Ever notice they pressure test your gas cap when you get an inspection? They really don't want **** leaking out. I've deleted my EVAP system and it just has a hose venting behind my driver side headlight. Cleaned up the engine bay a bit, and I just had to delete some codes with HPT.

Quick Reply: PCV catch can...WHAT THE HELL!!!