Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing drone with TSP TD setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reducing drone with TSP TD setup

I'm looking to try and reduce, if not eliminate, the interior drone associated w/ my TSP TD setup. I have already added some disc-type baffles before the mufflers. It did quiet it down some, but really didn't do much for the drone. I am thinking of switching out the 24 in. dynomax bullets for some 18 in. sweet thunders. I then found some 90 deg. round-to-oval transitions (the oval pipe should help significantly with clearance) I would like to use to run the dumps in front of the rear tires. I assume the added bend combined with having the exaust exit somewhere besides underneath the car would help significantly.Has anybody done this? Any thoughts?

P.S. I absolutely LOVE the look of having the exhaust run in front of the rear tire.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

your idea of side exhaust would help the drone some. it would still be loud as *****. i used to have TSP duals. but i sold it and bought an ory instead. if i were you, i would save a little $ and have a good shop run it out the back, it will still be loud on the outside, but the sound will be behind you, and it wont be echoing off the car and the road
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It really isn't how loud it is that bothers me. The baffles I installed took care of that. I just want the deep drone that rattles my fillings reduced...especially since I am going heads/cam soon and don't see that helping much.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

heads and a cam...nice nice.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put some high flow cats in the sequence..they help on that
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just try rotating the turndowns about 45* from straight down, I hear this helps. You can do it w/ TSP duals by bending the hangers and slipping the mufflers back on.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Just try rotating the turndowns about 45* from straight down, I hear this helps. You can do it w/ TSP duals by bending the hangers and slipping the mufflers back on.
Those hangers are quite the pain in the ******* *** to bend, even when heated up for almost a solid 5 minutes. It would honestly be easier to hang it, make note of where you want to attach them to the body, then disconnect, bring to a muffler shop, and have them cut and reweld the turndowns at 45*. Blur is right, the angling helped me...

-J
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM
That's what she said...

Whaaaaaat? I bent a 3/8" rod the other day like it was nothing using my Mapp Gas torch. I thought it was going to be a bitch, but it was easy. Were you using one of these?

Now that I think about it, I was making an exhaust hanger.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

if you want the drone gone your probably gonna have to take it out the rear/side. i remember i had a dump on my old car (srt-4) and it rattled all the change/anything in the cup holders and damn near shook my bowels loose...lol sounds great but not the best for a DD. thats why i ordered sidepipes for the GTO
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Whaaaaaat? I bent a 3/8" rod the other day like it was nothing using my Mapp Gas torch. I thought it was going to be a bitch, but it was easy. Were you using one of these?

Now that I think about it, I was making an exhaust hanger.
No I used the Mapp gas torch, dunno what it was about it but it was no walk in the park. Oh well the way the mufflers mounted to my car they were angled out anyway.

-J
Old 01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already did that...had them at a 45* angle. It was actually pretty easy to do. I think I did one without heating it and one I used the oxy-acetylene torch...bent like a wire hanger. It helped, but it still rattles the interior at certain RPM's. I even heard that cutting the turndowns completely off would solve the problem...didn't work.

I'm gonna try switching to ST's and running it in front of the rear wheels. I was just curious if anyone else had already done one or the other and noticed a difference.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would run them out the back. i made my own setup and ran 3" pipes under the axle. no drone with the bullets and its LOUD still behind me
Old 01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like said, you won't get rid of the interior drone no matter what you do if you leave it dumped under the car....running it out in front of the rear tires or out the back is the only way to totally get rid of it. BTW, have you priced oval tubing?....dat chit is $$$$$!!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Like said, you won't get rid of the interior drone no matter what you do if you leave it dumped under the car....running it out in front of the rear tires or out the back is the only way to totally get rid of it. BTW, have you priced oval tubing?....dat chit is $$$$$!!
It will cost some coin, but it will be well worth it to me if it turns out the way I have it in my head. The round-to-oval 90* transitions I need are $50 a piece.