Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

descreened maf?? yes/no??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I descreened mine, mainly due to running a dry kit and and after 8 months of doing so I have had no problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
I descreened mine, mainly due to running a dry kit and and after 8 months of doing so I have had no problems.
Same exact thing.

Driven since last april (10 months around 6k miles) and haven't had a damn problem. One of these days i'm going to adjust the a/f ratio on it too.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

just leave it
Old 02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blacksskid07
just leave it
If this is a daily driven car and looking for reliability then I would agree with this.

If this is a track car or looking for the most power possible then I would have to say remove the bitch because everything adds up.

On a side note with a dry kit removing the screen is pretty vital because the nitrous may freeze up the holes in the screen and cause partial or complete blockage. So if you going with a dry kit take it out, otherwise leave it in.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I have the data to say !Pffft.

JimmyBlue, I thank you for bringing your data to the table. An eyeballing and guesstimate are only worth the experience behind them. Data is much better.

I stand corrected. It is useful and non-harmful to anyone who can properly install an airfilter.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it should lean it out .2-.4 so I would do it.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
You'll mostly hear, "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" around here, but it's debatable.

In the how-to book, " How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V8's" by Will Handzel (who was a program manager working on development of the LS1), it states uncategorically in Chapter 3 that it is OK to remove the MAF screen. In fact, he states, "The simple modification that should be performed to every MAF sensor is the gentle removal of the inside screen."

I quote, "The screen is used to straighten the coming into it to minimize false airflow readings, but on LS vehicles with straight intakes, the screen isn't required. On trucks, where the air tube aspproaches the MAF from teh side, the screen should be left in unless your willing to make calibration changes to account for the new readings."

So, listen the the naysayers and take your pick. I say go ahead and remove it.
Damn dude i was going to quote that.

The LS1 engineers even said to go ahead and descreen the MAF.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my car for 4 years. Mine has been descreened 3 1/2 years out of the 4 and I had never had an issue with it. 2 years out of the 4, I daily drove my car year around and no issues. So I vote yes if M6 and no if you have an A4 or you are chicken!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I did mine when I was getting my tuning done. I couldn't tell a difference, but the tuner wanted to know if I wanted to take it out. He pretty much said to not touch it after he tunes it which I agree, could mess up the tune a bit.

It is by no means a much have but if you are getting tuned why not, if the tuner feels comfortable tuning with it out.

Quick Reply: descreened maf?? yes/no??