Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUllet in the I-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BUllet in the I-pipe?

I know there has been a lot of discussion on rasp and ways to cure it...I'm considering putting a bullet in the I-pipe just behind the Y. Would like to hear from guys who have accomplished this...Is there enough room under there without interfering with the torque arm and the drive shaft? My car is not lowered and you can see mods in the sig...have just a little bit of rasp when I get on it around 1500-2000rpm....would like to eliminate it completely without going the true dual route or replacing my whole cat back...Any suggestions or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah...I have the MAC ORY as well...no cats (which I'm pretty sure is the root cause of the rasp along with the Y-pipe and the different firing order)...any body with experience putting a bullet in the I-pipe let me know how it worked..Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 AM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive read putting a pair of bullets in the ypipe works even better. Ive always wanted to try it but am too cheap.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Launching!

i have a bullit in the i pipe and there is no problem with clearance or anything and i'm lowered. took all of the rasp out when i had my pacesetter's but now that i have vic jr. stepped headers the rasp is back.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run a true 3" chambered section in my LM, fits perfect with some slight modification to it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

I put a bullet in the ipipe, on my SHO. It helped with rasp a bit. Was pretty low profile, and was installed right, so it didn't interfere with anything. If you want to help rasp a little bit this might work for you.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

i bought a corsa catback that developed the famous "rattle" so i fabbed up a y pipe where the muffler goes, and put a magnaflow bullet style muffler in the i pipe. never had any fitment or clearance issues and i'm lowered on sportlines.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe try going with a high flow cat? Surely that would eliminate a good bit of the rasp, and would not lose much power if any at all. Check out the Catco 3" in/out, can be had for cheap and flows well.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4" ID, 5" OD bullet in my I pipe, in my DS tunnel.

Took some serious whacking with a 5lb hammer, but it fits like a glove now. I can fit a standing 12oz can under the fattest part, and the car is lowered. It made my SLP dual/dual quieter than any I've heard, and I've never heard anything resembling rasp. I did it mostly to clean up/quiet the sound coming from my cutout when it's open. Pics of it in my sig.