LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Header Help?!?!?!? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/679217-header-help.html)

FNQUIKWS6 03-19-2007 07:14 PM

Header Help?!?!?!?

I just installed some pacesetter lt's and a ory. There a weird sound coming from the drivers side and I'm guessing its an exhaust leak?? kinda sounds like a spark plug knock,except louder, what could be causing this?? I have metal gaskets if that matters.

Raise 03-19-2007 07:17 PM

could be a slight exhaust leak. remember though, valvetrain noise will be significantly louder with headers because of the thinner tubing walls. so you may not have a leak at all. ls1s are noisy motors to begin with (lifters, injectors, piston slap) so you may just be hearing valvetrain noise that is just more pronounced now that u have headers. my $.02 ;)

Tainted 03-19-2007 07:19 PM

just to make sure, go back and tighten down all your bolts, make sure the plugs are all the way in and all your plug boots are on good

FNQUIKWS6 03-19-2007 07:24 PM

Holy shit that was fast!!! Performance wise the car feels fine, doesnt feel slower.
Maybe its just the headers, thanks Tainted.. i will go back and make sure the bolts are tight and plug wires are also. Man this web site kicks ass

raymundojr 03-19-2007 07:35 PM

checck this out

Originally Posted by FNQUIKWS6
I just installed some pacesetter lt's and a ory. There a weird sound coming from the drivers side and I'm guessing its an exhaust leak?? kinda sounds like a spark plug knock,except louder, what could be causing this?? I have metal gaskets if that matters.

Try to check the K&N filters maybe its used up already that is why its producing unwanted noise.Also check out the treads,it could possibly be the answer.

TheSecretFormula 03-19-2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by raymundojr
Try to check the K&N filters maybe its used up already that is why its producing unwanted noise.Also check out the treads,it could possibly be the answer.

Mods ban this guy.

FNQUIKWS6 03-19-2007 07:44 PM

WTF is ray talkin about?? SPAMMER!!

Tainted 03-19-2007 07:46 PM

lmao thats more random than a midget fucking a horse

FNQUIKWS6 03-19-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by raymundojr

or maybe its my windshield, all the bugs on it are causing serious wind resistance and thats the noise .. just needs a good cleaning :jest: :jest: :jest:

jares99 03-19-2007 08:54 PM

Just throwing this out your sure it isn't header ory y-pipe hitting floorboard or the k-member.

FNQUIKWS6 03-19-2007 09:14 PM

actually my y-pipe is hitting the floor, why does is do that?? do i need a bumpstop for the y??

blkbird 03-19-2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by FNQUIKWS6
actually my y-pipe is hitting the floor, why does is do that?? do i need a bumpstop for the y??

Polymounts will take care of that issue.

98Camarod 03-19-2007 09:59 PM

I was going to say it was hitting the floorboard. Thats what mine did. I couldnt get it to stop and just bought true duals from tsp. The bump stop hanger wouldnt mount correctly and didnt do anything. The only time it stopped is when I wedged a piece of rubber exhaust hanger in there. Once it melted it started banging again.

The knocking is most likely robbing you of performance because your knock sensor is picking up the vibrations/knock and retarding the timing.