Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header Questions

I'm looking to buy some headers for a '98 LS1 engine.

I found a set of long tubes for a good price, but I guess they are for a standard (older) SB, and are advertised as:

"Fit both straight and angle plug heads. Please specify Standard port or fastburn style "D" port; or Brodix style spread port."

Will either of these work for the LS1 in terms of mating to the heads properly?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope. you need lsx headers. the heads are completely different from sbc. ls1's have round ports. just get some pacesetters from ls1speed.com for 375 bucks coated. best bang for your buck. i might be ordering some soon myself
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Well they aren't going in an F body. They are first going into a 1G RX7, and then later down the road into my '66 XKE, so I don't think ones from an F Body would work for me.

I might have to stick to the stock manifolds for now and have a custom set fabricated for me.

How true is it that the stock manifolds flow excellent?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, you aren't running an older iron head on the LS1 block so anything with angle plugs in the description is gonna be SBC/BBC. What you will most likely have to do is run a mid-length or a shorty. Kooks may be able to custom make a set for you, but whoever makes them....they will not be less than $1,200.

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
the heads are completely different from sbc. ls1's have round ports.
Not because of port shape though brotha....Don't they teach you anything at Lincoln Tech? Look at my illustration.

Fix your sig size dude.

SBC heads have exhaust ports like this:

()-------()-()-------()

You need this:

()-----()-----()-----()

First GEN RX7? Is that the FC? I think that there is a certain brand that will fit, but I am not sure what the clearance needed is on the collector. An FLP may work. They hang a little low, but Hooker/Pacesetter/SLP/QTP/E-Bay......I don't think will fit very well with that stock K member that the Rex's have.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Launching!

No, my car is an FB. You'll always see guys with FC and FD RX7 LS1 hybrids, but I haven't found anybody with an FB and an LS1. Most guys with V8 FB's have an old junkyard SBC setup.

I know they exist SOMEWHERE, I'd love to pick his or her brain, but 99.9% of the v8 guys will have an FC (86-92) or FD (93+). I wanted something a little different.

I guess I'll just stay with stock manifolds for now. I can't drop $1,000+ into headers right now. What I might do is buy some Pacesetters after the motor is in and then see how clearance is and just return them and lose the 20% restocking fee. With some luck, they may fit.

Thanks for the help!